The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Best Wireless Headset Mic For The Streets? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Blaze Magic
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Blaze Magic
I am planning to upgrade my wireless headset mic as the one I am using at the moment is a cheap one that cuts out a lot.

I have been looking into the Samson Airline Micro, as I have a friend who uses one and it seems good (seems to be around $200 USD https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1......pcur=AUD )

Before spending that much though, I thought I should see what everyone else is using and if there is anything else I should consider.

Things I am looking for:
Decent sound so people can hear me clearly.
Long battery life, or the ability to charge it using a power bank (I often do 5 hours or more in a day).
Good, reliable range.
Durable enough to stand up in the street.
No cords is a huge plus

Any suggestions on ones to get (or avoid) would be excellent!
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
I have had the Sennheiser System for many years with the countrymen mic.
Normally use lithium batteries and I’m able to do a number of Street shows for a couple weeks.
Before having to change batteries you can also use rechargeable ones
Not a cheap venture but way worth the money.
I don’t have a direct link, been so many years
Google sennheiser wireless mic should come up
Hope this helps
Nickoli
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I've used a Mipro system for almost 20 years now and have never really had problems with them.
I have a little tip which is something I do when I use a headset work mic that is connected to a transmitter. I wear a vest, and drop the xlr connector end down my back between my vest and shirt. I then loop the connector through a couple of my belt loops and connect the transmitter to it and keep in in my back right pocket. I've had the same mic for over 10 years and have never damaged it or had it catch and snap off from the transmitter. Just a suggestion for you if you go that route.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Using Amplifacation on the Streets is probably the biggest killer of Pitches.

No.
I take that back.

Using Amplifacation on the Streets IS the biggest killer of Pitches.

I advise:
1.) Develope your voice and speach technique.
There's really a lot to be learned here!

2.) Develope your Show,...and your Life Style.
With Amplifacation, you CAN play to bigger audiences,..
i.e. Make more Money, as you kill the Pitch.
But think of the looooong-term.(?)
Think of,....others.(?) ,...like me. 🤗

In developing your Show, your revenues will ALSO increase.
Albeit,..slower and,...work.
But,...that's what it takes,
to be a Magicain,...Street Performer.
Sorry.

Adjusting your Life-style,..invest in Mobility,..
and a more Qualitive versus Quantitive.

Becoming 'a Street Performer',
demands a certain bit of Class.
....money ISN'T the factor.

Forget the Mikes, Gadgets, and Hypes.
Develope your voice,..and yourself.
Gallagher Hayes
Blaze Magic
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Blaze Magic
Nickoli Sharpe: That's actually the solution I am going with at the moment. I already had a Sennheiser System, however the receiver needs to be plugged in, which isn't an option for me. I found a bodypack receiver that matches my system for sale on Ebay though, so I have order that and will see how it goes.
For some reason it seems to be pretty hard to find battery powered Sennheiser receivers.

Al Kazam the Magic Man: Maybe I should have gone with MiPro so I could just have a complete system. Currently I have a Bose S1 Pro, which is a great amp, but figuring out the mic and such is a bit of a pain.

Gallagher: I was doing quite a few unamped shows, and first of all they were having a pretty bad affect on my voice (especially doing a 10 hour day), and they just weren't that profitable.
Over time I have learned to be pretty loud if I need to, but even then I can only manage a medium crowd and they can barely hear me, as there is usually a lot of other noise in the area.

With the amp though, when I get the occasional crowd of over 100, I can still have them all hear me without even yelling, and if they can clearly hear what is happening and my hat lines, the tips go up a lot.
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Blaze, all you need to do is a little engineering and you can use a 12 volt lead acid battery to power the receiver on almost any wireless microphone. I have used several mics. The new airline micros, lets just say that the older ones are great! Ever since the frequency change, I have had interference. I use the airline 99 because it has a lot of channels. The airline 88 is also a good choice but I believe that it only has one channel. I try to stick with microphones that do not require the use of body pack transmitters because I have never had any luck protecting the wire from the headset to the bodypack-it always ends up shorting out relatively quickly. I prefer to use the mics with the transmitter on the headset itself.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Gallagher, it's not the microphones that are killing pitches. It is the selfish nature of the performers who don't understand that a microphone is used for the audience to be able to hear better. They think that the louder the better. They don't have any respect for the businesses and other people around them. That is what is truly killing pitches.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Hey there,

Sennheiser Has a really nice beefy connector for that problem of the wire getting bent.
Just let em know and it’s not much for them to change it out.

Gallagher, I have to say it’s true, not the amps fault the performer not being respectful to others that kills the pitch.
I do agree that all other aspects of your show should be number one and YES do not rely on a mic, learn to work without.
It can be done, I went for years with no amp. Way lighter
Nickoli
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
The problem wasn't the connector, it was the wire when I would put my pouch on and off. It would break the wire. Headsets are around $100.00 each. That adds up.
micwize
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of micwize
The Samson airline micro is fantastic. I have a street cube with it. compact. only thing is the more you have , the more that can go missing!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2020, micwize wrote:
The Samson airline micro is fantastic. I have a street cube with it. compact. only thing is the more you have , the more that can go missing!

I have one for sale, pm if interested
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2020, micwize wrote:

This is my setup as well, except I have a Fender Amp Can.

Perfect for a street show.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
52 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Hard to beat Samson
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I bought my Samson almost a decade ago. My battery has died in my headset. I tried to replace it but failed miserably. There really hasn't been anything better since then?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A watchmaker or iPhone repair place should be able to replace it. Or Samson, for that matter.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*