The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Because of Henson, I must ask Why Do We Even Do This?? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I’m being facetious, here. Want to make that clear from the start. But there is something that really makes me think.

I’m a big fan of Jim Henson. I’ve been watching a lot of videos of him and his creations lately on Y’tube. We all know he was not a ventriloquist, and didn’t even claim to be. But when he was live before an audience with Kermit or any of the other muppets..even DESPITE the fact that he moved his lips, the illusion of life was still there. Kermit seemed very much alive in his hands! The audiences ate it up and loved every minute, and somehow were still able to suspend disbelief and no one even CARED that Henson’s lips were moving. It never once detracted from the magic.

I can only say Jim was a genius! He had a special magic. Same went for Frank Oz.

My point is we spend a lot of time perfecting our craft, minimizing lip movement, and yet it all seems to be obviated by what Jim and Frank did. It’s almost like people don’t care. But on the other hand, they do care, because a ventriloquist whose lips move (with the exception of Edgar Bergen) can quickly elicit snide remarks and or boos.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Why are we wasting our time?

Again i’m being facetious. But it really is food for thought.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
It's the difference between a puppeteer and a ventriloquist.

Disclaimer: I'm not a ventriloquist and do all my work on a green screen with a lot of editing.

Henson had the opportunity to create a character that people/children viewed independent of his presence. So, basically we came to know and love Kermit.

Seeing him perform and moving his lips doesn't change that Kermit (who we know) is right there. We dispel out disbelief every time we go watch a movie and embrace Jedi's, Mutants, and Superheroes.

We didn't care that we could see Kermit's arm rods when he waved his hands, or that his eyes were fixed.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
If the movement of the puppet, his character, and even the expression of the Vent. and ALL is entertaining - who cares if there's lip movement. Even the STIFF jawed Vent, if ENTERTAINING -Audience laughing, who's watching the handler. REMEMBERING - it has to be ENTERTAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, Russo wrote:
If the movement of the puppet, his character, and even the expression of the Vent. and ALL is entertaining - who cares if there's lip movement. Even the STIFF jawed Vent, if ENTERTAINING -Audience laughing, who's watching the handler. REMEMBERING - it has to be ENTERTAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s definitely a key, there. As I mentioned, remember Edgar Bergen.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, Animated Puppets wrote:

Henson had the opportunity to create a character that people/children viewed independent of his presence. So, basically we came to know and love Kermit.

Again, evidence of his genius.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
This thread is like beaten a dead horse again and again. Smile

If your lips move when the puppet talk, don't claim yourself as a ventriloquist, please call yourself as a puppeteer.
Why you have to insist that you are a ventriloquist and not a puppeteer? Puppeteer is get well respect too from the audience, same as ventriloquist.

If you are very entertaining and audience is laughing until rolling on the floor, but still moving you lips while using a puppet, then you also can claim as a comic or a stand up comedian, but please don't claim yourself as ventriloquist.

Edgar Bergen had a good still lips before he has to do radio show and film, said the old birds. So he is a ventriloquist.
Have you see Jimmy Nelson or Paul Winchell, were their lips moving when Danny O Day or Jerry Mahoney talked? They are ventriloquists.
How about Jeff Dunham, Terry Fator & Darci Lynne? They are ventriloquists too.

Ventriloquist is a belly talker period.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Knowing Edgar B. in person, plus others, including few you mentioned - All didn't ALWAYS have lip control - but they were all considered Ventriloquists.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Didn't ALWAYS have lip control, mean they have lips control, so correct they were all considered as Ventriloquist. Smile
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Now both Ventriloquist AND figure can have lip movement - both wear Virus Masks L=O=L
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Henson said it himself."no one pays any attention to the man with the beard."..................
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Alone during the virus - am I going MAD ?? - find myself holding conversations with my Figures, Rusty, Cissy, Leo, Louie, and Ist one (Mom bought me 67 years ago) ,Andy (orig. Jerry Mahoney) - L-O-L ha ha ha ha -- I AM MAD
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Only one of mine is talking to me... the other 14 are too busy silently judging me.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
You are MAD - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - get me out of this jacket
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Wayland Flowers was another example of a great puppeteer.

Madam had a non PC way of pointing that out.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I was not aware there was a Department of Licensing for Ventriloquists and Puppeteers. Do they send out roving bands of officials to determine if you claim to be a ventriloquist and yet your lips move? And do they hang a sign around your neck proclaiming you are really a puppeteer? Oh dear. Or worse, do they confiscate your vent? I need to discuss this with my vent, Clancy.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
? ?? - the only Licensing I heard of - is when I was doing a series of show at a Church Carnival. After one of the shows - a person asked for my Licence- (County Clerk)- Why? I asked- Your getting paid for these shows aren't you? -Yes (50-50) Being paid -is a Business -giving me an official ticket said Come to my office with your books - I did( keep books for tax) - Fined $50. ea. for the last 3 years and $50.for current year. And if I don't keep it up ea.year - possible Jail. Telling him I knew of several performers -don't have Licences - report them he said - I THOUGHT -"NEVER".
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Good heavens. What police state do you live in?
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
It was 50 years ago, in Los Angeles, Calif., the premise was, anyone being paid for a Job, was in Business and needed a Business Licence. He even said baby sitters,shoe shine Kids, etc. but they didn't bother them. I think the Pony Ride Owner turned me in as kids were coming to my Show, not his rides. Oh well I got all back in Income Tax- also Wife and I produced 1000's of Magic shows,for 10 years, in L.A. With the stipulation the Magicians we gave Shows to(yes gave-as I only asked them for $5. for contract postage and phone calls-No commission which could have been 20%)they would be working under Our Licence ,saving them the cost -20-30 Fellow Magicians. Plus We also got/did Shows also, to do. Ahhhh Memories. Ralph (russo) ROUSSEAU
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
California. Why does that not surprise me (and I have many family members who live there).
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Ventriloquism, like magic, requires that the audience engage in a willing suspension of disbelief. The important thing is that the audience is entertained. When you watch a marionette show, does it bother you that you can see the puppet's strings?

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez