The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: RIP Dick Oslund (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I just saw this. Really sad to hear as Dick and I were good friends. He helped me a lot over the years giving me advice, sending me notes.

I'll miss him tremendously.

Down the road Dick!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
I've only just now happened across this thread by chance and learnt of Dick's passing. How terribly, terribly sad.

Dick was one of the first people to engage with me on this forum. He was very helpful and kind to me and he even sent me a letter containing a photocopied excerpt from his book, detailing his excellent Card To Pocket routine. He flatly refused any payment, even to cover postage, because in his words "it's a small price to pay for people to say nice things about me!". The letter, in its original envelope complete with "rabbit out of a hat" postage stamp and "Dick Oslund, Magician" rubber stamp, has stood proudly on display on my magic shelf since I received it. I shall now treasure it even more.

I didn't know you for very long, Dick, but thanks. You made a big impression on me and I'll never forget you.

Bon Voyage, friend.

RIP.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 25th, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi ,Thanks for your good thoughts! I picked up that "handling" of the pull, from a Circus sideshow magician in 1945. I've fooled many magicians with it since, and sold hundreds of pulls at $5, too!

Yup! It has been a wonderfilled life!

O

Quote:
On Mar 25th, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I always wanted to join the circus. Smile That you learned a wonderful use for the "pull" from a magician there is just right in line with all the magical things that life has shown you. It takes great and lasting courage to go through life so forthrightly, but only if you do it just that way does it reveal its greatest secrets...That's the magic of it all. Smile That reminds me again of something Cyrano De Bergerac said upon being accosted by some pompous musketeer as to his large nose, wrinkled clothes and low rank...

“I carry my adornments on my soul,” responded Cyrano. “I do not dress up like a popinjay; but inwardly, I keep my daintiness. I do not bear with me, by any chance, an insult not yet washed away—a conscience yellow with unpurged bile—an honor frayed to rags, a set of scruples badly worn. I go caparisoned in gems unseen—no figure of a man, but a soul clothed in shining armor, hung with deeds for decorations....And swinging at my side, Courage!”

-Mb

I am just hearing this but just as saddened as if I had heard it earlier here. 😔 Dick was a treasured Café friend here over the years, and we would communicate often. Always enjoyed hearing of his great times in magic. He knew everyone and mastered all sorts of magic. I was humbled that he enjoyed my magic, I certainly enjoyed his. Just to hear him tell stories of his times on the road, I was mesmerized. He was around magic and contributed to it in a big way. He was no-nonsense and was a real practitioner that didn't ascribe to over-thinking this stuff or getting caught up too much in the weeds. He was much more a doer and quite well-respected for it. I certainly had great respect for him and knew to listen rather than talk too much when he was laying down the history of this & that as he had lived and experienced it.

In our last communication in August he spoke happily of remission. This PM above and my response is one of the last ones I have from him, but for a few more over the months to come then. He was going through some stuff but in good spirits as he was always looking forward to getting better. My response back to him as to Cyrano was really about a "life well lived" and "courage" as to this part of his journey. And what a life he lived. Glad he shared some special moments with me here, sometimes short, sometimes long, but I appreciated every conversation, tutelage and critique on this & that as to magic and life. I certainly will miss him, as I miss another wonderful magician, creator and friend, Steve Dusheck. So happy these gentlemen saw something enough in me to share some of their time with me for years & years, moments at a time. 🎩

Good journey onward to you my friend, you old SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK. 😊 You were more than just a member of the Inner Circle here, you were the Inner Circle. Thank you always for coming my way sir...for coming our way here. 🙏🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
626 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Dick was always sending me stuff from his huge collection of magic. He mostly sent me items he knew I'd love (mostly ephemera, and books from the early 1900's).
In his last several months, he had sent me several different boxes of random magic items. He asked me to try and sell whatever I could, and we would split the profits. After I made a few sales, I asked where he wanted me to send his cut. He kept putting it off, saying to "Wait until we get to 'X' amount before you worry about sending anything." He told me that whenever I tried to send his share.

I sincerely believe Dick knew his time here was almost up, and this was just another situation where he put forth the time, effort, and love to help a friend (or "protege", as he jokingly and lovingly called me) in their time of need.

I was going through one of the boxes a few hours ago (the last one he ever shipped me). I was taking my time, and going over each item meticulously.
While going through a book from the 1910's, an index card fell out. On one side were the details, and on the other side were his little notes and comments.

My eyes followed as the index card landed in my lap. His unmistakable handwriting looking back at me. I couldn't help it. I just started bawling.

So here I am, my eyes still sore and red, my heart still broken, and the one person who can answer my questions is the one I'll never get to speak to again.

I just miss him so *** much.

If it wasn't for Dick, I would've never found my passion.
I'd have never known a lot of things had it not been for Dick.

I know I'm not the only person who Dick invested his time and effort in. But he sure knew how to make it feel like I was his favorite. He always knew how to help me. Be it with magic, or my personal life. He was always there, with the right thing to say.

I'll never go a day without missing you, Dick! I'll forever cherish all you taught me, and I'll tell anyone about you who will listen.

I love you, brother.
If there's another life, I'll see you there.

Your good friend.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Race

F.Y.I.> There's a very interesting cover article (Dick's smiling face is on the cover. I used to refer to this as his "big goofy grin") in the October 1980 issue of M.U.M. magazine.

He certainly is missed.

Julie
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
626 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, Julie wrote:
Hello Race

F.Y.I.> There's a very interesting cover article (Dick's smiling face is on the cover. I used to refer to this as his "big goofy grin") in the October 1980 issue of M.U.M. magazine.

He certainly is missed.

Julie

Thank you, I'll have to hunt that one down.

And yes he is. There hasn't been a day since his passing that I haven't sat and talked about him with my mother. She always loved that Dick and I were close, and she loved that Dick always asked me how she was doing with her health and whatnot. He was always concerned for the well being of others, which is why he was such a great teacher as well as a great person.

I've had his old performance flyers and the cover of his old lecture notes framed on my bedroom wall for years, but now it's nice to be able to see them and see him still wearing a smile.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Dick has some wonderful articles written about him all the way from his first days performing in the Navy through publication of his book and DVD. Does anyone know if the various publications release copyright restrictions for broken wands? If so, I will post them. Here are a few snippets:

The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
I have been away from the Café for the last few months. Just ran into this thread. So sorry to hear about the passing of Dick Oslund. He was and will always be a Café treasure! I enjoyed his stories, his zest for life that came across in his posts, and his timeless advice that came from years of hard earned experience. RIP Mr. Oslund.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
626 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I can't stress the following enough:
If Dick influenced anyone of your lives, hobbies, or careers, I beg you to find his book online and get yourself a copy, before it's OOP and unavailable.
I, myself, am searching for the hardcover edition I recently heard about. Dick never mentioned it to me, so I bought the large paperback edition with the accompanying DVD.

His book is a very fun read about his life, how he found magic as a kid, and his life on the road, performing for children at schools across the country (including my school in Kingsburg, CA in the 80's, which he actually still remembered).

When people use cliches like "they broke the mold when they made him", or "He's one of a kind/one in a million", they're usually using a bit of hyperbole.
But when speaking of Dick Oslund, to say "he was one of a kind" or "There'll never be another one like him" is almost an understatement.
I can't stress how full of love he was. He was never anything with me but helpful, concerned, respectful, and most of all he was very loving. He treated me like family, and I could feel that he meant it.

I feel lucky to have known him for the years I did, but of course I still wish we all had more time with him.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I knew Dick for so many years and such a good friend. I am glad that he managed to get his book written though I still cringe at the numerous typos and proofing mistakes. Dick and I talked about me proofing a revised edition but it never was meant to be. The one really glaring example was the misidentification of my mentor, Horace Marshall, in the book.

Race, you were lucky to have had the chance to learn from Dick and still be young enough to make it happen for you. Remember as Dick always said.."It is show business with the emphasis on business". Remember that and you will be fine.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
626 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2020, hugmagic wrote:
I knew Dick for so many years and such a good friend. I am glad that he managed to get his book written though I still cringe at the numerous typos and proofing mistakes. Dick and I talked about me proofing a revised edition but it never was meant to be. The one really glaring example was the misidentification of my mentor, Horace Marshall, in the book.

Race, you were lucky to have had the chance to learn from Dick and still be young enough to make it happen for you. Remember as Dick always said.."It is show business with the emphasis on business". Remember that and you will be fine.

Thank you! And yeah, I would go as far as to count myself one of the luckiest guys in the world. Not only did I get to become friends with someone I really looked up to, but he showed me the same love and respect that one would have for their immediate family.
The last ten years of my life have been fraught with health problems, and other things I don't like to talk about. But Dick was there for me when I had no one. He helped me get through a cloud of darkness and to the other side. I made sure I told him how important he was to me, often. But it doesn't make it any easier when he pops into my head and I wish I could talk to him again.
Though, I am nearly 40, and I feel that is the perfect age to get my act together (literally) and start doing some shows, keeping in mind everything Dick taught me.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Last September Dick sent me a "special secret" in response to a discussion. I worked it into a new routine and sent him a copy,
but never got a response. SIgh!

But, I guess I can publish the routine now ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
626 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On May 4, 2020, funsway wrote:
Last September Dick sent me a "special secret" in response to a discussion. I worked it into a new routine and sent him a copy,
but never got a response. SIgh!

But, I guess I can publish the routine now ...

If I remember correctly, this was when he was having issues with his computer crashing, and having it repaired took a little longer than expected.
He hated that "infernal peckenclacker", as he called it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2020, hugmagic wrote:

Richard, I was astounded by the level of detail in the book, in terms of where Dick performed and when and who he met. What kind of resources was he working from? It seems like he must have saved every receipt and every program from every performance he ever did!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
Dick and I knew many of the same people - but we never met. Did talk looong times on the phone. He sent me a copy of his book, "The Road Scholar"-where I found we new so many of the same people. The book was a mail box surprise. Great guy. Miss his posts and calls.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dick had a very sharp memory to the end. That is where the book details came from.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I miss Dick every day of my life.