The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Gospel Dollar Bills - Money Tracts (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MichaelGates
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MichaelGates
Hello,

I am a collector of gospel dollar bills. I am trying to find what types of bill have been circulating in the gospel magic community. I am familiar with some bills done by Dock Haley, and I know of at least one his designs that I have yet to obtain. I am interested in bills that have been created by magicians for bulk give away and in learning of any gospel dollar bills that have done by individuals for things such as business (dollar) cards. I often hand out gospel dollar tracts, so I know most sources for gospel bills that are not related to gospel magic. I am thinking about learning a few gospel money tricks to go along with handing out money tracts.

Dock Haley
LivingWaters
Operation 513
TractPlanet
Got Tracts?
EvangelicalOutreach
Answers in Genesis
Bezeugen Tract Club
One Million Tracts

If some is looking for gospel dollar tracts of a certain topic or size, feel free to post here, but also send me a personal message.

Michael
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Michael:

I think I got my extra large $100 (~15"x7") from Living waters.

They have a Gospel message on the reverse, but I find it rather verbose. Yet they are cheap enough they can be given away for the spectator to read later.

I use these not so much to present the Gospel, but to get people's attention at street fairs (they are very effective at that! and just ask "what's in you wallet", or "can you handle this much money" as they walk by, or initially folded, and they ask "can you make change for a hundred", as you pull it open)

I will next ask to show them a trick with the bill (a "wonderland" type effect that makes Ben's face move to the opposite side, and quote Mt 6:19-20 ( as the verse ends with moths and rust makes the riches disappear, I reveal that Ben's face has disappeared), and leave them holding the "flap".

At that point I seek to engage them in a conversation on spiritual matters (this is all OFF script at this point). I let them keep the bill if they are interested, I'll offer to show another (gospel based) trick, or just talk of their spiritual condition.

It has been a wonderful attention-getter at street fairs (only a couple of minutes before someone comes over. Getting people to talk about spiritual matters depends a lot on how comfortable you are at interacting with strangers (but the humor, and the fact that THEY voluntarily came over, really helps this work.)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
John,
I'm not sure if we are on the same page, you mentioned a "Flap" on a 'bill'. I have cut a square flap in one of Doc. Haley's Gospel Dollars and tell the story of Jesus coming into the world. (Black and white side). If we hold His hand (I am the way) and follow Him, He will take us to Heaven. (Green side, after folding and unfolding.)
Dynamike
Eventucator.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Eventucator:

That sounds like essentially the same "effect" that I was referring to (the bill seems to invert front to back, while the spectator holds onto the "flap")

Your presentation premise sounds good for the effect. It makes me think that if we used specially printed paper: a black and "grungy" looking white picture of a dingy street (or whatever), and the other side could be full color of some glorious appearing location.

I've also toyed with the idea of the first side having a picture of a door to a castle (the flap) that the spectator would hold, and then when "inverted" the entrance to Heaven would be depicted.

The problem with special printing, regular paper will not last too long with all the fold/unfolding

John

So what setting are you using this? How do you get people to come to you?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
One other presentation: I glued a white piece of paper to a white one, back to back, and then create the cuts in this for the effect.
I then talked of our sin (the red side), and how how Jesus' blood can make us white as snow (though your sins be as scarlet..)

I didn't use this presentation often(and otherwise only showed it to believers), but the last I did this for a friend, a woman from an adjacent table came over to mine and wanted to see another trick (I had shown her something earlier), and I happened to be showing this Red/white version to a friend that I was eating with.. Well the "visitor" got very upset. Not the response that I wanted..

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
The "Doc. Haley's Gospel Dollar" possibly will not "Upset" people because it is an American "Greenback" (copy) and it creates a little interest, as I am in New Zealand. I, like you have not shown it to too many people, but I carry one in my wallet. (Just in case). The Black White side represents the world, with it's sin and some "Good Deeds, and has "Patter" already on it, One Saviour, One Way etc. Jesus pic is also B&W, He became sin while here on earth. The "GREEN BACK" representing Heaven also has 'Patter' words, 'Eternal Life, etc. I do like your idea, pasting two colours together, although double sided sheets two colours are available. (Glossy only, here at the moment.) BTW I "usually Warn" people that I do 'Gospel Magic' "do you still want to see this trick?"
Dynamike.
Eventucator
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2020, EVENTUCATOR wrote:
BTW I "usually Warn" people that I do 'Gospel Magic' "do you still want to see this trick?"
Dynamike.
Eventucator

Agreed.

This particular time, however, the person just walked over while I was performing a non-gospel effect for a friend, then sat back down. At this point I pulled out the gospel effect for my friend, and the person walked over again. I gave pause, but went ahead with the trick.

Certainly the reaction was not what I wanted, and haven't gotten that type of reaction when I went to street fairs to witness (but then I take a very different approach (first effect is "inverting" a large $100, and quoting from Mathew 6 (which no one ever complained about), and then I talk to see where they are at, and go from there.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
HI - Resurrection Effect - Hat (World) - Die Box (Tomb) - Die (Christ) -- Get the Idea?? or - go to 'search' - user name "russo" - 'show message posted'- "Jan. 17, 2013" or last resort P/M me --- HAPPY RESURRECTION DAY (EASTER SUNDAY)
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
7 days - where's ALL the CHRISTIANS ? -Being isolated - doesn't mean we Can't communicate - fingers tired?? (:->) It's a BLESSING to be able to talk to someone.. It's called Sharing !!! ! Bless Everyone. Keep Safe.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Russo -

If you're missing interaction (during this time), it should be mentioned that the FCM International Group on Facebook is very active (during this time), with many discussions. In fact, there was a discussion about gospel dollar bills within the last day or two.

Also, they just had an online conference on April 3rd and 4th (lots of lecture videos posted to the page).

Mentioned here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=198

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Thanks Don,.. I had access to P/C for 16 years while I worked p/t at a library - then I had to re-retire to care for my Wife 24/7 - no p/c for a year - My Wonderful Wife (married a Wonderful '63' years) peacefully passed away 10/04/19- I was with her in ICU, Mind sharp and alert - weak torso - with a sparkle in her eyes , slight smile - she went into our LORDS arms - I tell you this because ,-when I called our daughter, she said 'Daddy I'm coming to be with you a week' (from Hawaii to Florida) - We went to Walmart - on the way out, she said 'here Daddy' -she gave me this Lap Top and arranged WiFi, So now , I can communicate with our kids (50 & 60) - and YOU GUYS - Plus rambling is therapeutic during a grief period -which they say could last years. So Blessing to all and to all a good night - (:>) Ralph (russo) Rousseau
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2020, John Long wrote:
Eventucator:

The problem with special printing, regular paper will not last too long with all the fold/unfolding

Use the no-tear mailers from Fedex or USPS to print out on.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
This is a great thread!

Thank You, Michael. Hopefully you will post again.

Blessings of peace and comfort upon you with the fondest memories of your wife, Ralph.

I don't have an additional source but an idea for gospel money tracts is to use Mathew Johnson's, Melt effect.
The "note" can represent how money is the root of all kinds of evil. The playing card used can be a "King" and we can refer to it as King Jesus who has overcome evil. Knowing Christ allows one to see "through" the illusion that money creates happiness, etc. or that Christ helps us get through the barriers that money can be perceived as.
I.E. I am in debt and can't afford to ______. If I had enough money then I could ______.
Then talk about how we can take any concerns to the Father through Christ the Lord.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2020, John Long wrote:
Eventucator:

Give the bill away after one demo?

Use the no-tear mailers from Fedex or USPS to print out on.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Give the bill away after the demo / Message.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I just noticed the suggestion of using "Melt". If I remember correctly it is a penetration effect?
and I am not sure how that would fit with "..money is the root of all kinds of evil."

But be aware that that phrase is NOT in the Bible. Rather, "the LOVE OF money is A root of all sorts of evil" NAS

Yet, not knowing how you were going to use the passage, I don't know if this changes your intentions.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking