The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: The GOAT (Greatest of All Transpositions) by Alex Linian (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2597 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I assume only the cards that spectators holding are examinable.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12258

"I LOVE this! It's quick, easy, startling, and the magic happens in the spectator's hands. What's not to like?" Geoff Williams

“Magic in their hands is always stronger that’s what makes the GOAT the GOAT” -Brent Braun

"This effect is a workers dream come true"-Shaun Dunn

The two jokers change places with the four aces in the spectators hands. A simple plot with a devastating finish.

The spectator doesn't know what hit them. One second, they are holding on to the four aces and in the blink of an eye the two jokers you are holding change into the four aces that were in their hand and now they have the two jokers.

Why is G.O.A.T so strong?

That's easy, first they are completely convinced that they are really holding the four aces. So when they appear in the magicians hands it is a total shocker. Second, the handling really makes this method invisible. No funny moves to tip off even the smartest spectator and everything likes natural. The final reason the G.O.A.T is so deceptive is the clever gimmick. Not only does it fool everyone but the gimmicks will actually do all of the work. Allowing you to sit back, relax and enjoy the amazing reactions.
MagicBoy2010
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MagicBoy2010
Does anybody have this yet? There are many reviews on Penguin Magic...but I don't see any on this forum.
MagicBoy2010
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Clever idea, but it looks pretty obvious what is going on, and you're definitely going to end dirty.

Not sure that there is much to review other than maybe production quality of the video?

Quote:
On Jul 5, 2019, MagicBoy2010 wrote:
Does anybody have this yet? There are many reviews on Penguin Magic...but I don't see any on this forum.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Will stick to the Transpo's I already have. Just as hard hitting without the gaffs and sleights needed. Watched it and yes as the reviewers say you are left dirty.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I saw nothing here that was really any stronger than NFW or ACE. Seems a bit similar in what allegedly happens although the gaffs must be different. I actually do a simple 2 card transposition that Gregory Wilson taught on his old VHS tape "Double Take" that to this day gets huge reactions.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2264 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I can see the power in this, must get insane reactions. This to me is of the same caliber as Double Back by Jon Allen. Who cares if you don't end clean? They can't conceive how gimmicks could even make this possible, they had 4 aces, you had 2 jokers. Now you have 4 aces, and they have 2 jokers. Their brain has nowhere to go.
JustinS.
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
2 Posts

Profile of JustinS.
Well... It is okay! Not the GOAT, in my opinion, I've seen transpositions that made me reconsider my skills in magic, haha. However, we can still appreciate the effort in it.

I think the quick, flashy, in your face transposition, is a beautiful way of doing it. Secondly, the 2 for 4 transpositions is great, there are several versions of unequal cards being transposed, but it is a great concept! Another thing I really like is how the transposition seemingly happens face up (it does not, but it just feels like it does).

As for what I do not like, ending dirty. That seems to be the overall downfall discussed here, and my response is to.. fix it. You could do a more covert switch of the gimmick for a genuine normal card. Or, do a flustration count and hand out the three normal cards while holding on to the gimmicked card, I've seen that idea in a few money changing effects. Without going into the method that is the most I can share I believe, so if you know, you know! haha.

Great idea, no reason to dislike it, work around the stuff you don't like. I believe the transposition I created/use on the daily is more preferred TO ME than this, but probably because of my massive ego or simply that I've done the same transposition for 3 years. This is a good transpo, just needs a little tweaking to personalize it to different people's needs, everyone may have different parameters for their tricks, so just find a way to resolve the issues.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2264 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, JustinS. wrote:
Well... It is okay! Not the GOAT, in my opinion, I've seen transpositions that made me reconsider my skills in magic, haha. However, we can still appreciate the effort in it.

I think the quick, flashy, in your face transposition, is a beautiful way of doing it. Secondly, the 2 for 4 transpositions is great, there are several versions of unequal cards being transposed, but it is a great concept! Another thing I really like is how the transposition seemingly happens face up (it does not, but it just feels like it does).

As for what I do not like, ending dirty. That seems to be the overall downfall discussed here, and my response is to.. fix it. You could do a more covert switch of the gimmick for a genuine normal card. Or, do a flustration count and hand out the three normal cards while holding on to the gimmicked card, I've seen that idea in a few money changing effects. Without going into the method that is the most I can share I believe, so if you know, you know! haha.

Great idea, no reason to dislike it, work around the stuff you don't like. I believe the transposition I created/use on the daily is more preferred TO ME than this, but probably because of my massive ego or simply that I've done the same transposition for 3 years. This is a good transpo, just needs a little tweaking to personalize it to different people's needs, everyone may have different parameters for their tricks, so just find a way to resolve the issues.

I'm just curious, why do you feel the need to end clean? I don't suppose anyone would want to examine the cards. They never do with Double Back.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I'm always very sceptical when something is called the greatest. It always turns out to be a tremendous letdown. That is not the case at all with the GOAT. I've spent the last day thinking if I could think of a better transposition and honestly, I couldn't.

The angles are fantastic and it's very easy, especially with the third handling. It's incredibly clean. It's very powerful.

Generally, I never do packet tricks because it always seemed weird to pull out a packet of cards, but he teaches a fantastic method to get into and out of it from a clean deck of cards.

There is also a great method to do this with signed cards. I personally wouldn't bother do it unless I was performing on Fool Us or something so as not to ruin the cards, but it's really nice to have the option.

The teaching is very clear with no stone left unturned. I really am confident that you will love this effect as much and your spectators will as well.

Is it the Greatest Of All Transpositions? It really might be.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Hi everyone! Very cool to see people interested in GOAT. It has been getting a lot of great responses so far, which I'm very happy to see.

A funny thing about the name "GOAT" and the claim that it's the greatest transposition. I've been referring to this effect as "the GOAT" for years and years, but I actually always meant it to stand for, "The Greatest of all TRICKS", not "transpositions." You see, growing up, I was a big fan of David Blaine's specials and, to me, one of the strongest possible effects you can perform for an audience always was a transposition effect that happens in a spectator's hands. Blaine would perform a simple two-card transpo, and it would generate a strong a reaction as anything else he did.

There are a lot of transposition effects out there, most of them with multiple cards, and the great majority seem sleight-heavy and often play as a display of skill more than anything else. (One of the few notable exceptions being Jon Allen's Double Back.) To me, that is not the same effect, or as strong as a simple two-card exchange.

It's this direct transposition that, in my opinion, has always been "The Greatest of All Tricks." When I started working on "the GOAT" I wanted to add something to a plot that felt almost perfect. My solution was to use different quantities of cards (4 aces and 2 jokers.) By doing so, the effect is not only something the spectator can SEE, but also something they can FEEL.

The danger of using multiple cards then became that this effect could become a sleight parade, full of weird displays and counts, etc. And so I worked on "The GOAT" for years in order to eliminate anything that was not necessary and to boil it down to its most essential qualities. That's what you get with this product, just the most direct, straight-forward and visual way to perform what I consider to be one of the strongest magic effects imaginable.

After working on this for a long time, I sent it over to the guys at Penguin, who have done an amazing job with the instructional video. At some point in this process, I mistakenly started referring to GOAT as "The Greatest of All TRANSPOSITIONS" and, well, the name stuck. Smile

---

Just quickly want to address something else mentioned here. Indeed, gimmicks are used and you could say the magician is left "dirty" at the end. I don't like to refer to myself as "dirty" though, especially after performing an effect that was so "clean" Smile But it's important to note that the instructions include ways to both get into and out of the effect, so that you start and end with a regular deck of cards. The procedure is actually a very natural way to do this, and it's the exact method I use. At the same time, the GOAT is constructed in such a way that should make spectators have no reason to want to check out your cards, as they believe they have held both the aces and the jokers by the end of the effect. If anything, they will want to examine their own cards, and those are 100% examinable Smile

Thanks again everyone for your interest in the GOAT!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1860 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You, Alex for all of those thoughts! I like your story behind "GOAT".

Unless one is a beginner walking around with just one effect to do I don't know the issue with ending un-clean. Just go right in to your next effect as you would anytime someone wants to have a look at something not examinable. Audience management, nothing to see here, move along.
If your one to cave in to pressure then have a card holder, wallet or somewhere to place the cards and your ungimmicked dupes. Place the cards in it after your effect then when you cave in pull it out again and hand out your ungimmicked cards. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.