The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Flexible Mirror/Needle Through Mirror by Tony Karpinski (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I've done a search and can't find anything on the Café and all the dealers I looked at don't seem to have reviews either.

I've always wanted to get a flexible mirror. I've loved the illusion for a long time. I think I saw Paul Daniels do it once on TV.

Now I know there is the "Flexible Mirror by Mr. Magic" available here https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......r-magic/ I don't need a review of that as it looks... Well, my gran used to say "If you can't say anything nice about something/someone then don't say anything so...."___________!" (an anagram of carp would be in that sentence.

I was looking at the one by Tony Karpinski but can't find a review anywhere and there don't seem to be any threads on the Café about it either.

Here is the one I am looking at and considering https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......h-mirror

Anyone have it and willing to review? I think it looks great.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, no one tried to help you, but I will give you some suggestions.

The original trick was called, "Bending a Piece of Glass, invented by Oswald Rae and published in his book, Sub Rosa in 1928. In the book Rae uses piece of clear glass, not a mirror.

At some point, that changed in the late 1970's or 1980's and became "Flexible Mirror". A number of magic companies made this version, as only Tannen Magic carried sold the Flexible glass effect by that name.

In my opinion the version you referenced is really bad. It does not look like the wood has even been stained and varnished. If you like the raw look of plywood, then it is your choice.

Abbott's magic makes the effect for years, but they only paint the wood black, and put silver painted diamond shapes around the edges. They only provide a drawing of the prop. I have seen it in person. It is made well like all of Abbott's products, but it is not a show piece as far as the frame is concerned.

The most professional looking version I have seen is one from Sterling Magic in Colon Michigan. They make several styles, you can look at.

All these versions I have mentioned is a lot less expensive then the one you referenced.

Take a look:

http://www.sterlinimagic.com/catalogsear......e+Mirror

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Flex......oryId=-1
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2019, dave_matkin wrote:
I've done a search and can't find anything on the Café and all the dealers I looked at don't seem to have reviews either.

I've always wanted to get a flexible mirror. I've loved the illusion for a long time. I think I saw Paul Daniels do it once on TV.

Now I know there is the "Flexible Mirror by Mr. Magic" available here https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......r-magic/ I don't need a review of that as it looks... Well, my gran used to say "If you can't say anything nice about something/someone then don't say anything so...."___________!" (an anagram of carp would be in that sentence.

I was looking at the one by Tony Karpinski but can't find a review anywhere and there don't seem to be any threads on the Café about it either.

Here is the one I am looking at and considering https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......h-mirror

Anyone have it and willing to review? I think it looks great.

Dave,
Several years have passed since your post and it seems reviews for this are still hard to find. I have been considering this same Flexible Mirror but haven't been able to find out much information about it, other than the manufacturer's description. I often see it for sale online and it looks nice but I would like to know a little more about it before I seriously consider purchasing it.

Oh well... the search continues!
Mister Mystery
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
905 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Here is what most pros consider to be the finest version of the Flexible Glass. Wellington Ent version! No longer made and considered rare.

www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
A friend of mine uses the Vanishing Inc. mirror in his show and it's great. I can attest to how baffling it is to an audience, and it's quite well made.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yes, I am aware of the Wellington & Owen models. I'd love to have either of those but finding one is a tough task. I am not sure about a Vanishing Inc mirror. I kniw they did sell the Karpinski model but I will check further.

Tony Karpinski's Flexible Mirror looks nice from the front, but that is the only view I have seen. I have not been able to find a video of anyone using it other than Tony's demo at a lecture. He did not "fold" the mirror at the end, but only bent it into a slight "bow".

It looks similar to the Owen style with some Mel Babcock inlay work, but that's about all I can tell. It's strange how hard it is to find out anything about this prop.

Also, I would like to know more about the bag that comes with it. I cannot tell what kind of material it is made from and it does not appear to have a zipper. But again, I am only going from 1 or 2 pictures so I could be wrong.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help!
Mister Mystery
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
331 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Also looking for a good quality of one.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ickle Pickle's latest model is called, "Incredible Flexible Mirror 2.0" but I have only seen their desription and demo.
Mister Mystery
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
331 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Curious how the Ickle pickle one compares to Tony Karpinski's one.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I can't necessarily comment on the Tony Karpinski Flexible Mirror look but I do have a couple of his other products and have been very pleased with them. Also, Tony is a great guy. I had the opportunity to spend some time just talking to him at a convention (he's appeared at several conventions in the northeast area) and he's a really nice guy who really seems to want the customer to be happy. I know a friend who got one of the Flexible Mirrors and is very happy with it.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dave, thank you. I never could find any other information anywhere but I took a chance and ordered Tony Karpinski's Flexible Mirror. I just opened the box but so far so good. I like it a lot!
Mister Mystery
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2781 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2024, Regan wrote:
Dave, thank you. I never could find any other information anywhere but I took a chance and ordered Tony Karpinski's Flexible Mirror. I just opened the box but so far so good. I like it a lot!

curious since they don't show it, what's the back of the frame look like?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:

Pretty much identical to the front.
Mister Mystery
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7604 Posts

Profile of RNK
Received the Ickle Pickle Flexible Mirror and am very satisfied with it. You can see the hinges on the back but you can cover them with your hands while holding the frame if you want to show the back. It pretty much looks almost identical to Tony's version from what I can tell.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
anton.magician
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of anton.magician
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2024, Regan wrote:
Quote:

Pretty much identical to the front.

Do you mean that the hinges is hidden? I know Mikame version with hidden hinges , so you can freely to show mirror from both sides!