The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A tangled web we weave... :: Learning Magic on YouTube (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Sirbrad said, "So all they can do is resort to exposure for views and attention, and try and teach what they actually know nothing about. Exposing a method freely on YouTube does not make you a magic teacher, it makes you an idiot."
AGREED!!!!!!!!!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I don't particularly like how much is exposed on Penn and Teller's show. I like that you have to log in with a password to places like the Café'. On the other hand, I feel that if a person is interested in magic enough to pay attention to what a non-magician would feel is boring, that sort of makes them a beginning magician...which we want. I'm fooled all the time by variations on things I know. Still, I guess I think the amount out there does amount to exposing. Who wants someone yelling out the secret during a show? I always thought that DVD's of magic should have been performance only, and the explanation/teaching be in a pamphlet with the DVD. Too late now. I used to think "All those DVD's out there...don't the guy's kids show their friends when he's not home?"

I'm going on and on. I'll say this. People creating new magic should go back to the book form, or now the ebook form. Putting stuff out on video, DVD, or now as you say YouTube makes it too available. (Not a fan of the Penn and Teller show format either, as I said).
DaKine Oregon
View Profile
New user
Medford, Oregon
50 Posts

Profile of DaKine Oregon
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2019, sirbrad wrote:

Exposing a method freely on YouTube does not make you a magic teacher, it makes you an idiot.
(and vincentmusician agreed.)

So, are you saying that Jay Sankey, Murray SawChuck, Hypnotist/Mentalist Bedros "Spidey" Akkelian, Chris Ramsay, Evan Era, and Rich Ferguson are all idiots? Interesting take.