The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: What scientific laws does magic break? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Can you name some scientific laws or theories that magic breaks and give examples?

Example: Gravitational theory / Any levitation or suspension.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? science is about elegant rules with predictive power. Smile
Our little craft is about getting people to recall the limits of their knowledge and perceptions. They know it's a trick. They know that you know it's a trick. The secret is how to get them to engage themselves in being tricked.
The laws? Like distinguishing "me" from "not me", believing in "object permanence" and "theory of mind"? Basic plots. Smile
As your will directs your arm to move - magic permits things outside your person to move.
As you imagine what you will or what you choose to consider, magic permits what you imagine may be projected into or gleaned from another person's mind.
As you choose what you will do, magic permits your choice to be enacted by others.
As you forget a thing and it seems to slip away from your inner world, magic permits you to make things vanish in the worlds of others.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Science and physical technology can be viewed as attempts to control one's relationship with nature and other people --
to reduce decisions to predictable mechanics and cybernetic responses in place of reasoned thought over multiple options.

Alchemy was more about controlling thinking and creativity than chemistry and metallurgy.

So, performance magic can break the "mental sloth" cycle by challenging any perceived ability to control ones environment or universe or world view.
I agree with Jonathan's "getting people to recall" except that today's youth may have nothing to recall that is not vicarious.
Too many believe that life is a multiple choice exam between limited choices provided by others.

Thus, magic may be a way of introducing the creativity and imagination missed in the formative years of learning.

The largest "scientific law" to be broken is the notion that there is a single cause or answer for everything.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am sure both Jonathan and Funsway are much smarter than I am. I don't understand a thing either of them said. I think my question was pretty simple but instead of answering it with a simple answer (as in my example) they needed to turn it into something else. Thank you. Both must be fun at parties.
Smile
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

? One of the first things one has to believe before building "laws of science" is that the world itself does not depend upon what we see or whether we wish to see it. I.E. that anyone would and could see the same thing. That's how we (at least as far back as Newton) extended Euclid's geometry of ideal objects to physical matter. Magic often plays with that subjective reality belief. We do that by looking back to a guy named Gorgias who claimed that any absolute certain knowledge of the world is impossible. So whatever we demonstrate is either the same as what they could see or feel or do - or something else unknown. We admire that "coin which falls up" bit. Smile

Continuing with Newton, conservation laws are built up from notions including object permanence. The object at rest is presumed to remain even when you're not looking at it. We put a cloth over something and then ... all bets are off. An object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. But we often demonstrate otherwise. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Yet in magic not only do things seem to move at our whim but often without recoil or any apparent expenditure of force at all! Every bit of reasoning about an objective world based upon object constancy, cause/effect, and conservation of (??) is open to subversive demonstration.

As of Descartes, who lived just before Newton, the notion of thoughts and beliefs being somehow inserted into our awareness much as the shadows are made in Plato's allegorical cave, was explored. As he put it (Principles of Philosophy) we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt. The experience of self and its narrative leaves the matter of just who or what is telling this story - how much is "self"? Plato's cave with shadows or a Cartesian Theater - it could all be a show.

Yup, the philosophical foundations of material science are significant. And in magic all those "givens" are conditional Smile, the difference between effect and method. Smile
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
What?

Now you are just f-ing with me.

Alec
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
Fitzkee trilogy is what you are looking for.

A magician plays the wizard with supernatural powers. So he breaks all the laws of nature. Gravity is suspended, people and objects float, liquid runs uphill. Teleportation is possible. Telekenisis is possible. Solid objects move thru solid objects. Time can be warped. Death is not permanent. Pain is not real. Perpetual motion becomes valid.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP! Read Fitzkee'a list of the nineteen EFFECTS, in his trilogy.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

From July 11, 2014 05:59 am "I am not sure that Fitzkee's list is the last word but not all tricks can be classified into one category. " https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=41
I like time travel tricks Smile