The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Memorization (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
I have posted about this elsewhere but am having such success with this method I thought it should live here as well.

I have a terrible memory and sought out a method to aid in memorizing scripts and directions. What I do now is write out the routine as a script with written directions. I then follow the method in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbe1-oHnR6k

You can use this website to aid in the abridging of each word: http://memorizer.me/

What is your advice for memorizing your routines?
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
With a script or monologue, I typically focus on the objective word, focus or subject looking to stream together the logic of the piece. For example if I was to memorize,

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

Discontent is the most important word (for me), second line is sun of York (discontent is connected to the sun of York), third line 'clouds' and 'house' forth line 'ocean buried,' I can link the idea that the clouds on our house are now buried in the ocean. So I have a sense of logic here, and what am I doing altogether at this juncture? Depending on the character take, I could be grumbling/bewailing/lamenting/riducling/entertaining the listener with my sordid take on affairs/all of the above/etc./none of the above.
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
Memorizing the script by root is essential and I do sometimes use tools such as the one you give, especially for a longer text with no action inbetween two pieces. However, motion is so important to help memorize I always struggle to sit quiet and recite my script. If I close my eyes and imagine I'm doing the movement and depalcement I'm supposed to make when I speak, I found out words come out more easily.