The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: The RainBow Ropes (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
I was just wondering if this effect is worth picking up.

Thanks
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's a nice effect, but the ropes have to be worked with to soften them. The knots don't seem to slide smoothly until the rope is softened a bit. I played with it a bit at a local magic shop, but I didn't like it. By the time that the ropes are soft, the white part isn't so white. I'm not even sure if the dyes on the rope are colorfast -- could present problems when washing the rope. Someone else could probably address that issue.

There's a similar routine using only white rope, on a Dick Stoner video -- it has to be the best routine of it's kind that I've seen. I believe that it's on his tape "More I Spell Magic F-U-N".
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Check out my routine for this prop, "The Magic Jumprope." Originally designed as a humorous filler, it has become a feature-a real show stopper for me. It's in my 2001 Lecture Notes, My "More Magic" book, and you MIGHT still be able to find it on Visions at http://www.online-visions.com.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
I have an older version. I don't have a die problem. I like the magic produced. Its fun and audience responce is good.

Dolini Smile

PS - Scott yours is a hilarious routine. Smile
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
The Great Zambini
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of The Great Zambini
Desmanthus:
I've used rainbow ropes for years. Always plays well. Suitable for the street, close up, parlor, kids, adults.
If you can't find a set of reasonable quality, I'd suggest you make one yourself.
...Simply Amazing!
THE GREAT ZAMBINI
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If this is the three colored loops forming one giant multi-colored loop. I have it and
it's only a few dollars, so throw it away when it gets dirty and buy a new one. I don't know what else to say, but it kind of feels like filler to me so I put it behind the Mak rabbits, or Run Rabbit Run while things are still quieting down. Kids love it, but it's not a hand out item. The gim is easy to spot up close.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just found-out that Duane Laflin carries some knit Rainbow Ropes. The knit ropes should be as close to perfect as you can get!
You can order them from laflinmagic.com.
I may order a couple sets, myself!
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I recently been using the knit ropes, sold as "The Patriotic Ropes," and they work as well as Alan Munro guessed they would.

alleycat
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3229 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I like the rainbow ropes effect, both because it is both relatively easy to do and it gets a good response from old and young alike. It is a good close-up trick and it is almost angle proof. Sometimes, I like to pretend I am going to make the ropes all the same color, and then I act suprised at the different outcome.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Quote:
The knots don't seem to slide smoothly until the rope is softened a bit.

Don't tie the knots too tight and they will slide much easier. You can make it appear that the knots are tight by exagerating the amount of force you exert on the ends of the knots, but only loosely tie them so they will not slide by themselves.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I have been performing cards, coins and mentalism for several Years now but I never got into Rope Magic. I decided to go for Rainbow Ropes the Remix from Fooler Doolers as I wanted to add one Rope Effect into a Set I am putting together for a parlour performance.

Regarding the Fooler Doolers kit, the Ropes are excellent quality (knitted and just the right length), the DVD production is very good, the teaching on the DVD is excellent and the effect itself is brilliant.

I have added my own presentation to this where I vanish the first knot and apparently fuse two of the ropes together in my fist, I then fuse the final rope by blowing the knot off the rope. This seems to go down very well.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
I love the effect and have used it for years. If your rope set is properly made with the raw ends secured, you can even wash them in soapy water (even in the washing machine) without the colors fading very much. That will also serve to soften the ropes a bit. You could also find some nice soft rope you like and make your own set with some aniline dye from an art supply store. Daryl's version is excellent as well (and in his hands a total miracle) but I prefer the cheapie old versions D. Robbins used to sell if you are going to steal off the knots instead of popping them off.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Desmanthus!
Your name caught my attention! and your one sentence OP did, too. I infer from the OP, and from the number of posts under your avatar, that you are at least, relatively, new
as a magician. (Correct me, if I am mistaken. I'll await your response, before I say any more regarding the OP.

I, frankly can't remember much, other than the title, Rainbow Ropes or Patriotic Ropes, so, I won't comment on the trick itself. Others above in the thread, for the most part seem happy with it. I have no idea of the price, either.

I do know Alan Munro and Duane Laflin. Alan works a lot in the Grand Rapids area. His second post just above would be enough for me, if I was considering adding the trick to my show. (It has been many years since I've bought a prop in a shop). I've known Duane for over 20 years, we've worked together at regional conventions. I've been a guest in his home. He wouldn't sell junk.

If you respond, I'll be happy to make some comments regarding adding a trick to one's act. --How much performing experience do you have? What sort of audiences? What type of tricks are you performing, etc.?

Yr's, 'til the hat is empty!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc--and soon to become an authentic and certified quacksalver.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Dick,

I think you will be waiting awhile for a response from the OP, since he posted this over twelve years ago!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
EGAD! Thanks Kabbalah! I usually look at the date--I must have written that while I was taking a NAP!!! I think I had better buy some "Fountain of Youth" pills!

Did you hear about the "salesman" in Florida who was arrested for selling Fountain of Youth pills. The police said it was a "con". When they "ran his record", they found he was a "habitual offender". He had been arrested for the same offense, in 1969, 1947, 1922, 1909, 1888, 1865.......
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2002, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Check out my routine for this prop, "The Magic Jumprope." Originally designed as a humorous filler, it has become a feature-a real show stopper for me. It's in my 2001 Lecture Notes, My "More Magic" book, and you MIGHT still be able to find it on Visions at http://www.online-visions.com.

I see that Scott wrote this comment over 10 years ago, but I've got to say that I think his routine is still simply fantastic. I have performed it literally hundreds of times since I saw him do it in a lecture. I perform it in almost every kid and family show that I do.

Jay
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
I thought I'd share with all of you the patter I've been using for a good number of years to lead into Scott Guinn's presentation for the Rainbow Ropes.

Here's what happened. I was hired to do a Harry Potter show years ago at a library the night one of the books was being released. At that point, I had read none of the books and had seen only the first movie. I figured I'd better do a kind of parody type show or the kids would figure out I didn't know what I was talking about. The librarian who booked me said that she didn't expect all of my tricks to be Harry Potter themed, but that she'd appreciate it if I put in at least a little Harry Potter stuff. So, I came up with a tie-in to Harry Potter to lead into the Rainbow Ropes. It worked so well, I still use it in almost every kid or family show I do.

Here's what I say:

"So, how many of you know who Harry Potter is? [I raise my own hand, which signals the kids to raise their own hands.] Cool! So, do any of you remember what school Harry Potter goes to? [I raise my hand again. I pick a kid who raised his or her hand. Sometimes they answer correctly and sometimes not. I keep trying kids until eventually one of them says 'Hogwarts.'] That's right! Hogwarts! You know, I tried to get into Hogwarts, but they would not accept me. I had to go to another school down the road called Warthogs! [Pause for laughter.] You know, Harry Potter's head professor for many years was Professor Dumbledore. How many of you know who Professor Dumbledore was? [I raise my hand again and look at all the hands go up.] Great! Well, my head professor at my school was named Professor Dummydork. [The kids laugh. I look at them with a kind of scolding looking on my face, and I put my hands on my hips.] Don't laugh. That was his name, Professor Dummydork. [Of course, the kids laugh even louder, so I scold them again.] Don't laugh at that. Shame on you. That was his name, Professor Dummydork. [That leads the kids to laugh even louder. Sometimes I shake my finger at the kids, which often makes them laugh even louder.] Well, one night Professor Dummydork told me a story, and I thought it would be fun to act it out in front of everybody. So, I need the help of a little girl who likes to act." And then I am into the Guinn routine.

One thing, sometimes when I say the line "Well, one night Professor Dummydork told me a story, and I thought it would be fun to act it out in front of everybody" the kids will start laughing really loudly when I say "Dummydork," and I can't finish the line without talking over them. If that happens, I stop after I say the word "Dummydork," wait for them to finish laughing, and then I say, "Well, one night my professor told me a story, and I thought it would be fun to act it out in front of everybody." And then I just continue on.

I hope some of you can use this. Kids still seem to be aware of Harry Potter, so I'm still using it. Smile

Jay
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
One quick point of clarification. When I "scold" the kids, I don't do it for real. The kids can tell that I'm teasing them. I learned the most about performing for kids from Dave Risley. If you are familiar with the Riz's approach to performing for kids, then you'll know what I'm talking about. Smile

Jay
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for a good routine for the Daryls Rainbow ropes. Nothing too long. Cheers