The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: Cap in Bottle (little history) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rey Ben
View Profile
New user
Argentine
3 Posts

Profile of Rey Ben
Dear friends from the Magic Café,

Let me say something about the Cap in Bottle trick.

After the FISM 1991 in Lausanne a friend of mine came back to my country with Michel Webber´s idea of the Cap in Bottle trick. You can see its version in his book "Lifesavers". It´s really great, I like so much Michel Webber's Ideas, he´s a great magician. I prepared it for me, and after many months working on it (between 1991 and 1992) I found out the idea of hiding the cap inside the bottle behind the neck label. Then I tried many things (thread, wax, magnets, etc.), and finally I found out a nice solution: a plastic gimmick with a magnet that I put inside the bottle hanging in the neck of it.

Here´s my effect:
The magician takes an empty bottle of beer and gives the cap out for examination. Then he puts the cap inside the bottle, through the neck, and after showing the cap really inside, takes it out. Then he puts the cap inside again, but through the bottom of the bottle. At this point the bottle, with the cap inside, can be given out for examination. When the audience is finished checking that it is imposible to take out the cap, the magician takes the cap out of the bottle again, and finally puts it inside to finish the routine and can give the bottle away as a present!!!

For those years Daryl came to my country (Argentina), for a magic convention, and I showed him my "cap in bottle trick". He couldn´t detect the secret, so finally I showed him the gimmick. Then he told me many unforgettable words, like it´s worthy of Al Baker (I think it´s so much for me, but it was great to hear it from Daryl) and that he wanted to make my trick famous all around the world. It was true. Unfortunately my name was only printed inside the packaging in very small letters and nothing about me was printed outside the packaging. For this reason many, many magicians think that it´s a Daryl idea. Daryl was a great magician that made famous my trick but not the name of the creator of the gimmick for this version of cap in bottle. He always bought from me the tricks that he sold, he never made a copy of it.

Fortunately this trick give me much satisfaction. One of these was a prize as The best trick of the year for the Linking Ring Magazine for my One Man Parade (July 2001).

Another previous version of the Cap in Bottle trick was the Gaetan Bloom idea, with the magnet outside the bottle, printed in The Sphinx magazine.

At this time there are other nice versions on the market of the Cap in Bottle trick, like Mike Power´s version or EZ-Chris Kenworthy´s version.

My email is: reyben@hotmail.com

On my website you can find information about my presentations, my latest USA tours and my Magic Castle presentation in April-May 2004, etc.(www.reyben.com)

Thank you for your time everybody, and thank you to all the magicians that criticize my other magic inventions in this forum, because due to it I could improve my tricks, with better instructions, strong magnets, etc.

Take care.

Rey Ben
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Rey Ben's gimmick is brilliant and perfect for accomplishing the effect.

I developed my own handling using the gimmick and can tell you that the effect absolutely killed when I used it in bars.

In my view, the effect is much better than coin in bottle, you give the spectator something really different to take home and remember you by, and you can use it as an unusual business card -- I write my first name and phone number inside of the cap before I make it penetrate into the bottle the last time.

Larry D.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Did Gaetan invent this first? Or Mike Weber?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Dear Mr. Ben,

Thank you for the history on this effect.

This is an awesome effect you have allowed with your gimmick. Through your gimmick this routine has traveled the world. I'm not so sure that other versions would have had such success as is the sometimes peculiar whim of the magic community.

I have always heard your version referred to as "Rey Ben's Cap in Bottle". I thought that was what my packaging from Daryl said. When I bought the trick it was perfectly clear that it was Rey Ben's and every time I have heard Daryl lecture on it you were fully credited.

I say this to let you know that, for me, there would be no way that your name could not be linked to your version of the effect. Unless things have changed, I would hope and believe that still is true today.

Most Sincerely,

Tom Cutts
A devotee of Rey Ben's Cap In Bottle.
armenikum
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of armenikum
Does anyone know where I can buy this effect?

thankz.
Criss Angel performed in Japan, Cyril Performs in Japan, they have the same Spec Levitation....Of course, a coincedence
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
This is right off Daryl's websight for the description of Cap In Bottle:

"Invented by Rey Ben from South America, marketed by Daryl."

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=300103