The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: A simple poll on amount (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
How many, in total, props do you carry (not tricks, because if you carry a pack of cards that's already 6 million, lol) in your normal everyday carry?

In other words, what's the number of items in your magical EDC?

Items used together, like cards in a packet trick, or multiple sponge balls/thimbles/paddles etc for a routine, should be counted as 1 item (so a 3 card monte set is 1 not 3).

Feel free to list the props, but please make the total NUMBER plain - that's the key thing for this thread Smile
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

My Total: 13

Mostly just bits of paper or card.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Zero.

If I want to do something casual and impromptu, it will probably be a suggestion-based routine.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am with Witchy. For me, to be 'impromptu' means using found objects whose use is prompted by group interest, theme or setting: stone, nuts, candy, creamers, jelly packets, etc.
Drawing from communication's perspective, carrying anything "seen" is Extemporaneous and not Impromptu

Some carried objects such as coin in current use, keys and even cough drops might work, but the concept of "yours and not mine" enhances the power of the magic memory,

but.. who am I to fight the deflation of the English language to that of a drill sergeant? (this is survey and not a poll Smile

Just kidding - and will try and help here.

There are 'secret' objects that can be carried to enhance the use of found objects. I used to carry a tine from a clear plastic fork for a "knife through coat" effect.
Jess McBride says he always has a couple of Loops under his watchband.

I know a guy who carries 'sticky spots' so that he can fashion napkin balls that won't change shape/unfold. I like that if ever go to a party again.

Back in my consulting days I would carry some Post-it-note balls with words inside for mentalism switch, and one with a magnet for including with with make
on site." I had a larger magnet taped to my chest and another near my left elbow. ( counts as 2 I guess)

My finger ring and pen can become magic props but shouldn't really count, but would if they were gaffed or gimmicked.

Those 4-5 things would be enough to augment things easily found.

but ...

as a further thought, you can find an object and gaff it "on the fly" for later use at a dinner party or business meeting.
For example, one might steal a foil covered chocolate candy for a dish to have in pocket for an impromptu "two in hand" or C-a-C effect
You would be carrying it with you, if only for an hour.

given that, my requested count is 6
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yes, for many true 'impromptu' is with found props only (or at least with only hidden props), or propless. This is likely the best/most accurate way of interpreting the term. I use it more loosely and casually.

I find that I also like tricks using props - whether they are 'natural' (like a pen or ring or elastic band) or wholly and obviously 'magical' (like a weirdly decorated box, or wand or whatever).

Jeff McBride, as mentioned above, and as far as I can tell, seems to often be loaded with various props - and does stuff with obvious magic props as well as found objects. Such as matches his persona and approach to magic. Another performer with a card-sharp persona would likely have cards on them at most times. And so on.

Additionally, I find a degree of charm in odd, bizarre and magical apparatus and props. And since I don't have a particular magical persona which would be disharmonious with props, and because I'm not trying to create a moment that passes for 'real magic', and because I only do easy magic, I like to use props. Smile
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
63 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
I normally carry 3-4 props with me. These are normally folding quarters, b*l*ets and other props that are 'normally found in life.' For me it's important that magic especially impromptu magic is natural. My mantra is the fewer props the better.

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
124 Posts

Profile of chosen1
Most of the things that are on my person are optimized for magic, but are normal props everyone carries.

I carry a ring made from a walking liberty half dollar that fits just right for manipulation.
I have a duplicate on a necklace around my neck for a ring on string routine.
My keychain is a Pro-flite.
On that keychain is Freakey.
My wallet is an Espionage Wallet.
Inside that wallet is either Stand Up Monte or Three depending on the mood.
And also an Inner Circle card in that wallet.

So I would say actual magic props 3. Freakey, the monte, and loops have no other use in my day to life, but are always on me, but I have 7 items on me that I can perform with.

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cool Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
JOL hip wallet which can load lots of different size items
Pro-flight for my keys
I usually have a couple of rubber bands wrapped around my card case
also usually have some regular coins with me or can borrow some so I'm good to go.
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
124 Posts

Profile of chosen1
Thanks for starting the thread Terrible Wizard. Interesting way to count. Can't wait to see more numbers.

Yay! Another fellow Pro-fliter!

Warren, how often do you find yourself performing it in casual situations?

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3560 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Anymore, my daily carry consists of Hopping Half, Steve Dusheck’s Copper Silver Transpo, John C’s Ultimate Positive Negative, and Airship Magic’s Brass Coin Casket (which has replaced my TT pocket space).
TheDBK
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of TheDBK
Total: 2

I usually just carry an imp******* p** and some billets along with two sharpies. One regular, and one for the p**.
I try to carry as little with me as possible so I typically stay away from stuff with a lot of gimmicks.
I know some people hate propless mentalism but I personally love just the ability to be able to do it anytime, anywhere.
Thanks,
K
baronborrelli
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
46 Posts

Profile of baronborrelli
I carry a lot; partially to entertain at a moments notice, but also to keep my hands busy when shopping with the wife.

It sounds like a lot, but it is not of space.

1) Time Machine Watch
2) Loops on days where I know I am meeting someone
3) My wallet is a fire wallet modified as a peek wallet. Inside I have
four rubber bands (linking and unlinking bands),
Northwest Charlie (daffy dial)
Wonderland Dollar
$5 and $1 folded for Ghost bills
Quarter with force card prediction stamped on it (7 Diamonds)
Magnetic Quarter (it is a magnet)
Color changing Chinese coin (under rated trick).
Spare Battery for Tarantula (see below)

In my pockets I carry 10 genuine imitation Morgans (these are great)
10 palming coins (50 cent pieces or Morgan’s, depending on my mood)
Imitation Tarantula (most days)
Thumb Tip (always, always)
Deck of Cards (60% of the time). They are marked.

Traveler (leather bag). Inside of traveler I have:
Eisenhower Hippity Hop/Sun Moon
Eisenhower Scotch and Soda
Duplicate of the color changing coin (not sure why)
Sanko’s Holy Moly (another underrated trick)

The trick I do most often is probably holy moly, followed by time machine (always have them pick a time reasonably close...so if it is at dinner, say “Later this evening or very early morning”)
I also do Three Fly and a special in the hands coins across.

I also do a two handed Misers dream (somewhere in the middle of Bobo). The version I use for impromptu is where you drop from a stack in the right hand as you pick up a coin lying in the left.
baronborrelli
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
46 Posts

Profile of baronborrelli
Oh, and my wedding band is a PK ring!
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
I carry a Canadian silver dollar, four Kennedy halves, a binder clip, 1 marble, one mini 6 sided dice and 3-4 folded billets with me. They all fit perfectly in a mini-Altoid container. It's a perfect fit without taking up much pocket space and I can effectively do an entire show with it. I also have a couple of small prewritten predictions I use for some routines. ON top of this I will carry a string on my wrist and my wedding ring for a ring a string routine (assuming I can't borrow a ring). In terms of economy of space, I feel like packing a show into an Altoid container is perfect.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Card Deck, PK Ring, Loops, Thumbtip... can go for an hour with just that Smile