The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: New to performing . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I've been into magic for years, and I've practiced a lot, and I've even put on a few good shows at school (closeup stuff done at my desk, no stage stuff) Smile ...but now I'm graduated, and I really don't know what to do with myself these days. I was working for my grandpa at his car shop, but as he has some bad blood between him and some other family members, that didn't work out too good.

I've always loved magic; it holds nothing but happy memories for me. I'd love to start a job as a magician, no matter how meager the pay might be. It would be worth it. I'm normaly a shy person, but magic has always helped me talk to people... to put it as plain as I know how, the times in my life when I've been doing magic are some of the best times I can remember. The times when I've quit... things usually took a big nose dive.

I practice a lot just for the fun of it... but I really don't know how to land a job at a restaurant or whatever. I wouldn't even know how much pay to ask for. There are no magicians around town right now that I know of, so it would certainly be a novelty... any advice any of you have to offer, I'll listen to...
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Hello Serling,
I must advise you to buy Jim Paces book about restaurant magic it certainly got me started
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Serling,
An old Turkish proverb says "Making your mind up about doing something, is half of the job". You have done more than the half so do not worry. First try to do with small groups, probably among people who know you and may forgive your mistakes, plus you will feel comfortable among them.

Then go on enlarging the number of audiences. Never give up. Everybody was a beginner and nobody is born as a professional.

If there is anything that I may help you with, please do not hesitate to ask.
I am sure that you will succeed.
Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
joebob
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of joebob
Try doing magic at family celebrations and get-togethers. They always are very responsive.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Serling,
It's definitely possible to make a good living by performing restaurant magic but it's unlikely that you'll have the experience and complete routine at first so how about finding a small local restaurant and give an audition performance to the proprietor with a view to working his restaurant for no pay for 2 or 3 weeks till you've developed a workable act and gained confidence. Then you're in a stronger position to negotiate a deal with either his place or a competitor. If you're good he won't want you to go to a competitor.
Good luck - let us know how you progress.
Bill Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Even in the confines of your post, you appear to have the passion for the work -- and that's more than half the battle.
Getting the job is much like getting any job.
As for the pay, pick the price of the most expensive thing on the menu and multiply it by four (two tables of two people) and ask for at least that much per night (assuming it's only two or three hours).
That way, you only have to attract two tables a night for the house to break even. (Well, okay, not completely, but close enough.)
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Well you should think about working as a waiter/magician. But you would have to think about how much more tips you would get and you get paid some for being a waiter. But if you just work as a magician they might just pay by the hour. The best way to decide is on how busy the place is.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Hi Serling,

I would also recommend "The Restaurant Worker's Handbook" by Jim Pace & Jerry MacGregor as a starting point.

But, first you need an act! Develop an act, based on your personal style, THEN read, ask, study etc. everything you can find on booking gigs.

It sounds like you have the passion to make it, I wish you the best of luck with your magic!
Tony Chapparo
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Thanks to all of you for your good advice and quite often kind words... I wish I could be as confident of my success as you seem to be... but it helps to hear such encouraging things... Smile Smile Smile
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
check this site out, it has some good ideas on landing a job!

http://www.magic.about.com

Hope my advise was of help!
Lance R. Wilson
:shucks:
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Serling

Take to the streets is my opinion. You wont find better audiences to learn from. It can be heartbreaking until you get to grips with it but you learn faster than any other way can offer you. Try to put together a good 10 - 15 mins material and find somewhere that people congregate, and no-one minds you performing at. If you live in a city there may well be street performers who can point you in the right direction. Just remember that they were there first though, never steal someones spot! A friendly chat with most will usually result in an decent arrangement being made, and might also win you a new friend and source of great advice.

Have fun out there. Whatever you decide to do.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook