The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Paper money madness! :: JayScott Berry Cloaking device for $100 Bill switch (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
First, anyone who tries to perform with a "raw" Sanada gimmick - meaning one that has not been altered from it's out of the package form, is doing it wrong. After watching JSB, it is clear that a Sanada at a minimum needs to be trimmed and fitted. JSB tapes his to reinforce them and make them almost invisible. Other than shade matching skin, it really can't get much more "invisible".

I cannot imagine anyone getting caught, close-up or otherwise, with a taped, trimmed, fitted Sanada gimmick, particularly if they've seen JSB techniques and handling for the Sanada. When handled properly, the Sanada should never be seen. It's either in Vortex, FP, or covered by the prop.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Nothing brings more comments and strong opinion on the MC than something much better than what is on the market, and what they have never seen.
I do not comment on things I have not seen. I leave that to others. hehe.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Quote: "I cannot imagine anyone getting caught, close-up or otherwise, with a taped, trimmed, fitted Sanada gimmick, particularly if they've seen JSB techniques and handling for the Sanada. When handled properly, the Sanada should never be seen. It's either in Vortex, FP, or covered by the prop."

I am just sharing my experience. I am not trying to disagree. The tape is medical tape. It never matches your skin, as the Sanada plastic does not as well. So it is impossible to use this in close up "openly" without getting caught. I love JSB and he is a genius. But I found that my close up Sanada made from TTip plastic, can be shown openly. yes there are cute ways of hiding a Sanada. But you probably will find that an average spectator will wonder and ask why you don't show your hand freely. I do it and never get caught with my Sanada. But if you do it with the one on the JSB videos (showing it openly and briefly) you will get caught very often. I am just saying there is a reason why people use good thumb tips. the material has improved in a huge way since 40 years ago. you can use some of them openly in close up too. I have applied this thinking to the Sanada and it just kills people . they have no explanation, close up or stage.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
This has been an interesting discussion. I seek the truth. My truth is that I can't picture a routine and use for a Sanada gimmick where it is necessary and required for the spectator to look at the gimmick directly while the magician is wearing it. Really that's it. I might be entirely wrong. We would have to get specific here into the exact use of said gimmick and the effect it used in, the handling, routining and what not to really determine if the need exists to camouflage a Sanada in the manner you describe. While that is easily accomplished in person, here is another story.

It's been fun discussing though... Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Dear Kaliix, I just did a show yesterday. I do a very simple sponge ball routine with my Sanada. I put one in their hand they open their hand and they have one. I put it back. I show them the other one clearly in my hand no sleeves. People can see this in a crowd of 100. I make it disappear instantly and show my hand cleanly. People need to see my hand, that it is gone. If not this will not work. that is why I had to come up with this. The one thing they comment on in my show is this. I wish it was something else. Some great magic. But this. It is like a miracle because they see a big red sponge ball and then it is gone. they can see both hands completely . nothing hidden.

That is why I developed the close up Sanada. due to getting reamed at the post office, I sell two for 15 shipped. I am not trying to promote this. But if you found something and got lucky and improved it, where people thought they had really seen a miracle, you want to share it. It is a pain to make. I like you and agree I thought exactly like you upon seeing Jay S. Berry's Penguin lecture. He is an absolute genius. But I can do miracles he can never do with his sanada. I developed the Close Up Sanada. I use it close up and it just blows minds. But to do my effects I could never do it with a normal Sanada the only other one on the market. as for visibility, it is garbage compared to mine. I threw mine away after developing this. The sanada, if it is made right, as I do, is of the best miracle devices in the world. Ok Kalix, pm me with your address. I will send you one. I respect you for your being a thorough magic scholar, researcher and gentleman.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Countrymaven and Kaliix:

I am interested in what each of you are saying and would like to know who to believe/trust (yet since the matter involves various aspects, the answer may not be just one of you).

Soooooo, if I be so bold as to suggest that you two meet/talk privately/share video clips.., and then report back your conclusions (which may still involve differing opinions). Please note, I am not suggesting this to squelch the discussion, but rather to (possibly) reach a conclusion that all in the Café could benefit from.

So again, I AM interested in this matter; I have a Sanada, but never used it.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
JSB lectured at one of my SAM meetings and I was wowed.
I bought 2 of his revised Sanada gimmicks and his $100 18 " silk. One was "Power of Two" and I forgot the name of the other gimmick.
I’ve been doing the sponge ball routine and vanishing a $100 bill and showing my hands empty and then producing the silk.
WOW!
Ihor
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Kalix what do you think about this close up Sanandaj? conversation stopped after you were sent one. Glenn
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I sent my address in a PM but I didn't receive any Sanada gimmick. It was offered for free so I am not owed a thing, just answering the question.

Quote:
On Mar 8, 2020, Glenn Watson wrote:
Kalix what do you think about this close up Sanandaj? conversation stopped after you were sent one. Glenn
~Daniel J. Boorstin
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Where can JSB's lecture on the Sanada be found?

Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
hawkbird
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of hawkbird
I bought one of countrymaven's gimmick's and also got one with a sponge attached to it! My experience is I like it much better than the Sanada gimmick! It blends better! Fits right! Work's gr8! hb:)
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
John Long, JSB's great tricks and tips with the Sanada and so much more are on his Penguin Lecture. He has so much there I had to take notes with the times
on the download, so I can go back and watch it. He has just great tips on sponges, silks and bill switches with Sanadas.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks CM, I'll look into that

Seems like I heard there was a book, or write up with what he sells?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
CM

I forgot to ask, is your modification something that I could make on another Sanada (after buying one from you)?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi John, you do not want a book . You need to see this on video. If not it would be almost impossible to describe the moves and devices of his.
My Close up Sanada is not something someone could normally make. I make it from material like thumb tip plastic. But it has to be molded, etc. So the answer is no, this is made from the best material to begin with, not some cheap plastic that will never look like your skin (the commercial Sanada that is currently sold by others).

Kallix, I apologize to you. I had a project blow up on me. I had to travel constantly for a long time due to an estate situation. Also, this Sanada is very very hard to make. I must take back my offer and I apologize. It is much harder making this than I thought and I simply do not have the time to do so for free. I am not currently trying to sell it until I develop a better manufacturing solution. I might sell it to a few here and there, but it is just too hard to make as it is. But I blow minds every week using this. Unbelievable. Especially with the sponge Close UP SAnada of mine.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Okay
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Dear John, Just trying to help. I could be totally wrong, but it would be almost IMPOSSIBLE TO describe what Jay S. Berry shows and demonstrates on his Penguin lecture.
Also, you need to take notes with times and what is being described. I have noticed that often, on Penguin lectures, performers describe things, veer off on rabbit trails, and get back on track. You need to know what time on the video shows this device , etc. Best to you, Scott
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Sorry I meant in written form, it would be fair to say it would be almost impossible to describe what JSB shows on his Penguin lecture. Even with pictures.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Hey countrymaven, check your PM's...
~Daniel J. Boorstin