The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Best Newspaper Tear (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Jim Steinmeyers is the best if you want virtually no set up. (In Conjuring Anthology).

My personal favorite is Ron Wilson's. (Uncanny Scot)

If you want to do the Anderson "flash" restore with less prep make sure to check out Robert Baxt's clever solution (the better newspaper tear).

Let me just say; Thank you for adding the source of the routine! Too many people throw out suggestions with no way to FIND the routine suggested! Thank you, again.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Derdeutscherein
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
12 Posts

Profile of Derdeutscherein
I'm using the Robert Baxt newspaper tear and I love it.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2023, ed rhodes wrote:

Quote:

Jim Steinmeyers is the best if you want virtually no set up. (In Conjuring Anthology).

My personal favorite is Ron Wilson's. (Uncanny Scot)

If you want to do the Anderson "flash" restore with less prep make sure to check out Robert Baxt's clever solution (the better newspaper tear).

Let me just say; Thank you for adding the source of the routine! Too many people throw out suggestions with no way to FIND the routine suggested! Thank you, again.

Agreed. It's always very helpful to have a source given.

For anyone reading through this topic in the future, doing research on various methods, it should be noted that at this time (Jan. 2024) the book 'The Uncanny Scot - Ron Wilson' by Richard Kaufmann is long out-of-print and when used copies become available they are usually quite expensive. Ron Wilson's "Slow Motion Newspaper Tear" is basically the same method as Alex Elmsley's "The Visual Torn and Restored Newspaper" found in 'The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley — Volume 1' (also, out-of-print) , but with an extra touch added by Ron Wilson that is very effective. If you want to learn it, Nick Lewin teaches his presentation of Alex Elmsley's version , called "Nick Lewin's Ultimate Slow Motion Newspaper Tear", which is available from Nick Lewin as a downloadable video or on DVD, depending on what you prefer: http://www.lewinenterprises.com/ Nick Lewin's teaching videos are always top-of-the-line and he teaches you a complete routine , not just the bare mechanics of how it works. The Elmsley method has much to recommend it. Allow me to quote from 'The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley — Volume 1' in the introductory paragraph to Elmsley's newspaper tear:

Quote:
"Several good methods exist for achieving this effect, but when Gene Anderson's newspaper tear was prominently performed a few years back by Doug Henning, magicians seemed to lose sight of all others. It is rare to see anything but the Anderson method performed these days. This is to be regretted, as several of the prior methods had advantages well worth considering (not the least of which is Al Koran's, to which the Gene Anderson method owes a considerable debt).

When Mr. Elmsley first discussed his method in print, he clearly stated his goal:

"In most methods, assuming that they are well performed, the torn pieces are transformed into a neatly folded packet, obviously untorn, which is then unfolded. To me this does not look magical, however magical it may be considered intellectually. It looks as though a folded packet has been substituted for the pieces. Moreover, the unfolding of the packet is an anticlimax. I believe that, if it is to look as though it is the same paper being restored as was torn, there must be no folded packet seen at any stage. In practice, that means that no folded edges, but only torn edges and the natural edges of the paper must be seen, right up to the moment when the paper is shown unfolded and restored."

At that time (1958), only one method met this criticism: Ken Bowell's "Kentare", which was marketed by Harry Stanley. Taking the Bowell method as a starting point, Mr. Elmsley created his own version: "The Visual Torn and Restored Newspaper".

-----

Quote:

I would also recommend Pat Page's "Ten Second Newspaper Tear" as a good version with a fast set-up. You can find it in the book "Magic Page by Page" by Patrick Page or as as single trick DVD. I personally found it easier to learn the set up and performance watching the DVD version. Both available from - https://patrickpagemagic.co.uk/shop-3/ .
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
One "flash restoration" version that doesn't seem to be as well-known is Antonio Romero's version , available on Lybrary.com

https://www.lybrary.com/the-torn-and-res......433.html

Quote:
This routine incorporates a system that eliminates all angle problems. This means it can be performed surrounded, and that makes it truly practical and easy to perform.

The download video contains over 60 minutes of detailed instructions with all the secrets of this wonderful routine that has made its way into the repertoires of many professionals.

It was created by Antonio Romero in 1983 and first published in his book La Magia de Antonio Romero in 1992.

This video has an English voice over by Rafael Benatar.

Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
The best newspaper tear is "The ultimate no tear newspaper", I wrote a tremendous review for it here:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......739981#0
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
91 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
My Newspaper Tear has extremely quick set up and reset and has the full flash restoration like the Anderson But is much easier to set up than the Anderson and Axel versions. Penn and Teller do my version in their show! See www.robertbaxt.com/shop for more info on it. Picture attached of P & T doing it on TV. Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Five Man Quartet
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Five Man Quartet
My vote goes to Axel Hecklau Newsflash 2.0

Flash restoration that a hobbyist like myself can perform. A bit of set up arts and crafts but nothing too difficult.