The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Cheese magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I see there are a lot of young people on this board.
I want to stress that many start out with sarcasm and slapstick not realizing they are giving magic a bad name.
This corn ball or cheesy approach is the type of magic that if done right goes over as comedy but if not it goes over as the magician being a wise ass.

Just be careful and study comics not magic. Study timing and delivery.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Excellent point.
There sre so many good books to read on comedy and comedy writing. It should be part of every performer's collection. Don't just listen to comedy and try to imitate it or just try to tell jokes and hope they go off well. It needs to be planned and fall into your character perfectly.
Stand up comedy sounds like some great guy walks on stage and rips out 50 jokes and everyone laughs and wow. It is not that at all. It is planning and experience that brings that. And believe it or not Hours of practise.
Practising lines until the phrasing and timing has the maximum effect.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Man, I thought this was a post about cheese.

I love cheese, ecspecially Sharp Cheddar.

Yum.

Now I must combine magic and cheese....to make THE ULTIMATE EFFECT! mwuhahahahahahaha.

Excuse, I must go take my Valium.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Yep, practicing with a live audience will tell you which jokes will work and which wont!!
A good friend of mine who's a professional comedian once told me, "You have to suck befor you can get good boy is that the truth!"
Chris
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Does this mean nobody is going to suggest a few ideas on how to achieve "borrowed ring inside a hunk of cheddar (or gouda, or havardi, or swiss, or whatever...)"? I actually thought this sounded like a good idea!

On the actual topic, I have found nothing that turns me off faster than the "cheese factor four" comedy approach to magic. This kind of behaviour makes me embarrassed to admit I have any involvement with the art to a spectator that has just been exposed to this loathsome spectacle.

For some reason, many seem to believe that the "cheese" style comedy is easier to perform than other comedy styles. I would say this is probably true if you mean "easier to perform but still have your act stink up the place like old bleu cheese". My impression is that performing it well is probably harder than other comedy styles, in part because you have to overcome the impression made by all the other horrible attempts at it. If you're new at it, I'd bet a mountain of marbled that you aren't that good.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
First, it's spelled, "bleu cheese."

And, Second, I'm a little confused as to what "cheese-comedy" is. What style is it and why is it so disgusting?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I agree with Chris and his friend that practising with a live audience is the best. Saying a line in front of your friends and timing it right will tell you if you are getting it or not.

Example
I was driving with my mate that plays pro ball and we saw these two young teenagers beating up this old lady. He stopped the car we both took one of his bats and ..... man we really **** that old lady up. If the conversation just continues, your timing or phrasing is off.
If somebody says "Really??? Why??" it was perfect.
That is Stinkin Humor and most people will take a few seconds to get it and laugh their **** off.
Hopefully.