The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Diagonal palm shift (53 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn

The side steal and the diagonal palm shift are both essential for this routine.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
435 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Thanks for sharing, Pop. I love that routine.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Cain wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, YRauch wrote:
There are other reasons why the diagonal palm shift may be better than the side steal (in the proper contexts) BESIDES for just which hand its delivered to.

A side steal, in all the explanations I have seen for it is a "taking" action. The diagonal Palm shift, depending on exactly how you interpret and understand the text (and there are differences of opinion on this) MAY be more of a "leaving" action, thus making the left hand in a DPS less suspicious than the right hand in a side steal, in my opinion. Again, some say the left hand also does some of the action during a DPS, but it's still not ALL of the action.

Last night I was jamming with a guy who did the DPS unprompted (turns he received personal instruction from Vernon). I said I was not a fan (of the move), and we talked. Civilly. I believe he said likes the DPS because it's counter-intuitive. With a side-steal, the free-hand is going to take the card, whereas with a DPS it's taken by the hand holding the deck. However, the timing for each is still (generally) problematic.

As silly as it may sound, I think having a cool name also helps. People have often remarked upon the "shift" as out of place. A more descriptive term would be "the Diagonal Palm Flash." Variations include "the Diagonal Palm Click" and "the Diagonal Palm oh **** it bowed the wrong way."

Those are problems with the execution of the move, not problems with the move itself. You can't judge the move on the basis of those who have not yet mastered it.

This happens in magic a LOT. Looking for people who do moves poorly to sort of get confirmation bias on ones opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
This happens in magic a LOT. Looking for people who do moves poorly to sort of get confirmation bias on ones opinion.

This happens a lot in just general discussion forums -- people misusing terms they do not understand. The move was performed unprompted -- which is kind of the opposite of "looking for people who do moves poorly." Thanks for playing though.

Quote:
On Jul 25, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:
Those are problems with the execution of the move, not problems with the move itself. You can't judge the move on the basis of those who have not yet mastered it.

Well, yes and no. Central to my argument against the DPS is the reality of trade-offs. If we have two cars that are functionally identical in all respects but one costs three times as much as the other, from a perspective of pure performance, they're indeed the same. Unfortunately, this ignores cost. If we have two moves that are equally deceptive when executed perfectly, but one has superior angles, then, all other things being equal, the one with superior angles is probably the better move. If one executes both moves perfectly all the time, then, yeah, have at either. A Greek philosopher once remarked there's no difference between living and dying. A student asked, "Then why don't you just die?" "Because," he replied, "there's no difference." We could have a car that functions great with a highly trained professional behind the wheel. Another car functions equally great -- same lap speeds -- when operated by someone with much less training. We have some people who want to drive the first car even if it's more dangerous. Indeed, they want to drive it *because* it's dangerous. And that's just called being man. A stupid man.

As for the video, as I remarked several years ago, I cannot think of a reasonable alternative for a DPS given the conditions you've outlined. Congratulations? In the vast majority of cases where the move is deployed, however, those constraints do not hold. So there's that...
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Five Man Quartet
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Five Man Quartet
Long time fan of pop and his persona and audience rapport and dedication to perfecting the classics...

Questiin: Am searching for the Sphere of Destiny trick. Not on popsmagic.com. any ideas of where to find it or something similar by another name.

Blessings to all!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
That is the Technicolor Prediction by my friend the late, great Martin Lewis. The "Sphere of Destiny" is just my presentation of the effect.
Five Man Quartet
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Five Man Quartet
Thanks Pop. Continued blessings.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That bad eh? Sorry fellas. Back to the drawing board.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Looked great! Very impressed.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh wow. Thanks Pop! Of course it is much different doing it in an actual effect for the public, I can't hold a candle in that regard. But thank-you all the same sir
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2024, magicfish wrote:
Oh wow. Thanks Pop! Of course it is much different doing it in an actual effect for the public, I can't hold a candle in that regard. But thank-you all the same sir

I understand how much work you have put into this. It is a great accomplishment.
TheLiceMan
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of TheLiceMan
Here's a good tip for you -- when you get set up into that position where the card is diagonally shifted but you haven't stolen it yet, let your hands get some distance between them (keep the deck in your dominant hand with the card poking out diagonally on the bottom), use your other hand to misdirect with pointing or gesturing, then in one swift motion, steal the card away and hand your spectator the deck to shuffle.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
The best tutorial I've ever seen is in Ben Earl's "The Family" this month. https://thefamily.studio52magic.com/
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7050 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Tutorial?
Is it published somewhere?
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, jekyllandhyde wrote:
The best tutorial I've ever seen is in Ben Earl's "The Family" this month. https://thefamily.studio52magic.com/

Ben Earl posseses phenomenal skills. What does he say about the usefulness of the move in "the real world"?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
For what it's worth, I have it on good authority Earl says he does not use the DPS in the real world because of angle issues. He practices to improve "hand intelligence." Except for everyone, who could have possibly guessed the thickness of the deck provides poor cover? One would think it should be fine; the height of a pack is only less than half the width of a standard playing card, and less than a third of the length. Cognitive misers who outsource their critical thinking will naturally remain undeterred, blaming DPS angle shortcomings on practitioners rather than move itself. After all, "a poor painter blames the brushes."