The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Substitute for salt (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Thanks Frank, definitely worth experimenting with these! I'll let you know if any of them work out well.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Have you considered using glass micro-beads?

An average salt grain is 0.3mm and you can get glass beads in similar sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Standa......27PHNFJC
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Glass micro beads are remarkably similar to what was suggested to me by the late Lou Lancaster to 'spice up' a salt pour.
He managed to get some reflective glass beads to give sparkle to the salt.
These reflective glass beads are usually used to mix in with white paint so that highway signs glow a bit when when your headlamps hit them.
Perhaps a source for them can be located?
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, JNeal wrote:
Glass micro beads are remarkably similar to what was suggested to me by the late Lou Lancaster to 'spice up' a salt pour.
He managed to get some reflective glass beads to give sparkle to the salt.
These reflective glass beads are usually used to mix in with white paint so that highway signs glow a bit when when your headlamps hit them.
Perhaps a source for them can be located?

I use to work for a coatings company, that's where I know them from.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Don't know if these beads are being made any more, as way back in the era of home 8 mm and Super 8 mm film movies they were used on retractable movie projection screens. Most likely used in movie theater's screens as well.

Now with big screen televisions, no need for home projections screens.

I believe they are part of the mechanism for the old P&L Drinking Glass Through Hat atop a candle stick holder.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
They have them plenty of places. I suggest getting them in the 500 micron range https://www.etsy.com/listing/616727163/f......elated-3
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Yes! Glass road paint beads (solid not hollow spheres) are pretty close if the proper size is found.

The granular density of table salt is 2.2 grams per cubic centimeter and the bulk density, depending on finess of ground, is between 1.2 and 1.4. Glass spheres for road paint have a granular density of 2.0 to 2.6 and a bulk density of 1.2 to 1.8. The above mentioned silica (foundry sand, etc) has a granular density of 2.3 to 2.7 and a bulk density of 1.3 to 1.6.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Individual salt grains vary from 0.03mm to 0.3mm. A slightly larger glass bead would be advisable to maintain the visual, so beads in the 500 micron (0.5mm) range should be ideal.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
Individual salt grains vary from 0.03mm to 0.3mm. A slightly larger glass bead would be advisable to maintain the visual, so beads in the 500 micron (0.5mm) range should be ideal.

Also, salt is more a square while the glass beads are spheres. Spheres have only about half the volume of squares with same diameter. So, will need them to be about 2X larger to get weight right per grain. I find average size for table salt listed as between 100 to 300 microns depending on ground (similar to what you listed) so that comes to about 200 to 600 microns or so for the spheres. So it looks like you nailed it with 500 microns.

Do you know when you buy such spheres how consistent they are? Will they vary like salt or will each be close to 500 microns?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
If it says "0.5mm" they'll be pretty consistent. Lots of the time they give a "mesh" which means "x or smaller" that's not very consistent.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
If it says "0.5mm" they'll be pretty consistent. Lots of the time they give a "mesh" which means "x or smaller" that's not very consistent.

Just ordered a bag with a range of sizes from 45 to 850 microns: https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Standa......07ZGXMUM

Will experiment and see what mixes work. Whatever doesn't get used can be used when painting props.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Anyone had success with a good substitute for salt?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Yep. Been using the above spheres for Devin Knight's salt to bulb effect. Works perfectly and matches the Vernet Ethereal Salt.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
Yep. Been using the above spheres for Devin Knight's salt to bulb effect. Works perfectly and matches the Vernet Ethereal Salt.

Thanks Frank! Will have to try this.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, the beads are still made. I have seen seen used in sand powered mechanism in old apparatus. I don't have a source but I imagine they are not cheap.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
108 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
To Whom it may concern. I'm working with a vernet Salted in the U.S.A. Our brethen across the pond recommend Baking Soda. Now looking to find a U.S. brand with correct particle size. Any advice?
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The best Bicarbonate of Soda substitute for salt is manufactured in Spain by Carmencita called "Carbonato Sodico".

For some reason, it is better than any US brand of Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking soda).ell.

I have tried several brands here in the US and they don't work nearly as well.

The one listed above is super fine, doesn't clump, and available in small 2 oz. bottles.

I have been unable to import this to the US , unfortunately!
visit me @ JNealShow.com