The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: An idea from Tarbell 5 (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic Eros
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Magic Eros
Hello! How you doing?
Well, a couple of weeks ago I was reading Tarbell 5 and I found and effect created by Ed Reno, the effect is simple, a pocket watch disappear and reappear in the root of a flower pot. The idea is brilliant but in nowadays nobody uses a pocket watch... so I was thinking about modifying the flower pot with a trap door on the bottom of the flower pot. Obviously in that trap door the magician would put a watch. How to steal the spectator watch could be with the devil's handerkchief. In my mind the idea sounds great but I'd like to get an opinion from other magicians for all over the world. Here, in Chile we don't talk about these ideas because everyone will tell you that a new idea is horrible only because is new.
Can someone tell me what you think about this? please
Regards
P.S: Sorry for my written english, it's the worst skill that I possess in this language
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Hi Eros. If I was going to do this, I'd put the gaffed flower pot on my porch or window or deck or something and next to a few other flower pots. Then, I'd steal the watch without my friend noticing and load it into the gaffed pot. Later, when my friend noticed that his watch was gone, I might say something like "***, I did it again. I don't even know I'm doing it at this point. I've had this problem since I was young and had a pet magpie called Charlie and he taught me how to steal shiny **** and I've been doing it ever since." At this point, I'd go over to the flower pots and start pushing my fingers into the dirt of a few different pots till I pulled out his watch. "Now, why do I bury them in flowerpots? How the hell do I know? Blame Charlie. Sorry man." And hand the now filthy watch back.

I would continue do this among my friends for six months to a year and then I'd come up with some presentation for an effect that "cured" me of my watch stealing problem.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
That's a horrible idea. It must be new. However, I have undertaken to vanish a cellphone and have it reappear inside a tub filled with candy. It's not as messy as The_Mediocre_Gatsby's idea, but it is easy to build and perform. It's in Mini-Mysteries Book 3 at The Magic Nook, under the name "Holiday Candy Box"

Magic Eros
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Magic Eros
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
That's a horrible idea. It must be new. However, I have undertaken to vanish a cellphone and have it reappear inside a tub filled with candy. It's not as messy as The_Mediocre_Gatsby's idea, but it is easy to build and perform. It's in Mini-Mysteries Book 3 at The Magic Nook, under the name "Holiday Candy Box"

That's a very good trick, I'll check the book, your ideas have opened my mind. Thanks for your experiences and ideas. I'll talk about this with other magicians, maybe I could get a way to reinvent this old trick.