The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Blindfolded Juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've done a search and looked at blindfolds a bit here on the Café, but still need to do quite a bit of reasearch.

I'm helping my brother put together a street juggling act, and was wondering what would be the best way to do a blindfolded juggling routine. I realize there are many gaffed blindfolds out there, but in concerns of safety for my brother and his audience, I'm looking for a way that will firstly, allow him a good field of vision, and secondly, be able to be worn by a spectator. I've done no blindfold work before, as I mostly perform close-up sleight of hand. Any info you can share is appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I now this is not the answer you are looking for but...
Practice. I know at least one person who used to just use a real blindfold.
Fake blindfolds can be funny too; you know, have one with big eye holes cut out, or just one that you keep up stage 'til your big finish then turn to front so everyone sees the hole.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
There are some blindfolds that you can purchase from magic dealers. I'm not sure of the names but there's one that's a bag you put over your head you can see through, but the spec. can't. There's a metal blindfold I think the spec. can examine also. Try looking at different magic shops. Daytona Magic might have some. Hope this helps!

Daniel Santos
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Kevin,

I've sent you a PM, sorry it's so long.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
Pokie Poke wrote:
>> I know at least one person who used to just use a real blindfold

This idea intrigued me. Like all self-respecting jugglers who are forced into a non-juggling related day job, I keep props stashed away at my place of employment for moments when the desire is too strong to ignore. I grabbed three balls from my desk, snuck off into an empty conference room and started a simple cascade. Then I closed my eyes and felt utterly helpless as all balls promptly succumbed to the dastardly effects of gravity, not even glancing off my hands on the way down. I tried it a few more times with similar results. I was more than a bit discouraged.

A quick search on google groups found that it is indeed not only possible but also achievable by a seemingly large percentage of the people that attempt it...with lots of practice. If you go the real blindfold route, you might want to check google groups. There were lots of tips there.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have tried juggling without seeing, and it is a pain. I can't get close to even doing it. The gaffed blindfolds would be my way.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Astinus,

It really doesn't take that long. All I did was to juggle 3 balls then look through the pattern. Once this was solid I then began closing my eyes whilst juggling the pattern. Eventually you can begin juggling blind from the start without doing the looking through bit first.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Have you tried it with clubs? This helps some people as thay have a set patern, ie. you tend to always throw them the same each time as too high or low affects the number of rotations. Balls not having this convention tend to be tosed any old way.
Roslyn has the other trick: learning to look through your pattern first is a good start, and if you are going to hit the bricks you will need this skill so you can see your audience.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Kannible
View Profile
New user
LAS VEGAS
56 Posts

Profile of Kannible
What I think would be cool is if, When your bro. preformed, he talked to the audience. Like, While juggling, he didn't pay attention to the clubs and just started talking to someone. As if he wasn't juggling. Just my two cents, but maybe people will think its, show-boating which may not be good. : )
Thanks... Kyle
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks all, for the ideas. The blindfolded thing is just one idea of many for routines. As far as him actually learning to juggle blind, I'm sure he might be open to the idea, but in the interest of having it in the act sooner rather than later, as well as posible safety issues (juggling fire or knives while really blind could prove hazardous), we're still on the lookout for a good gimmick. Does anyone have any experience with the one offered from Daytona Magic?

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
I perform a blindfolded fire juggling grand finale. As a pretty accomplished juggler, it is not that hard to juggle 3 balls blindfolded or 3 clubs for that matter. All it takes is for one to become comfortable and consistent. It is really an awesome feeling to juggle with your eyes closed. The first time I tried it and succeeded was really amazing.

As a finale I juggle 3 torches blindfolded, but I cheat. I use a blindfold and bag combo that allows you to see. I forgot what the name is but the bag has a couple of drawstring that allow you to tie the bag onto your head, and pulling them makes it possible to see.

Frankly, I don't like doing the routine as I feel like I am cheating and lying. I do it though. I believe performing it for real is too dangerous in many situations.

I am working on another routine that isn't fraudulent, and I can't wait until I replace this one. I will continue to perform it though, as it gives me the opportunity to continue developing my relationship with the props within my act.

-P
Ãœber goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steve Mills juggles behind his back. But there is only one Steve Mills.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"