The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Terms Or Names for Spectators (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Are their other terms anyone uses for those who watch our entertainment besides Spectator or Audience? There must be more terms used other than, "Spec".
Target, Mark or Victim are not appealing.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
In my effect descriptions I use VA - Volunteer Assistant, since they are no longer just onlookers.

I also use Witness or Referee if the VA is performing that function rather than holding objects
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
We like "audience helpers".

Julie & Co.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You two for the input.

I've noticed that magicians haven't come up with a 'shop talk' word for assistance and helpers. There is "talking" for when coins or props make a sound and there are numerous names for sleights and subtleties.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
alan1954
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of alan1954
"Minions"
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I often refer to them as participants, as this is what I want them to do on many levels: participate. Spectator sounds like a silent observer. However, I use these terms interchangeably amongst fellow magicians.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You, Chollet.

So far then, at this point there doesn't seem to be a slang or shop talk type of term to refer to spectators that at least isn't demeaning.

Upon a search, the synonyms for "spectator" showed-
bystander
fan
moviegoer
observer
onlooker
sports fan
theatergoer
viewer
beholder
clapper
eyewitness
kibitzer
looker
looker-on
perceiver
playgoer
seer
standee
watcher
witness
gaper
gazer
showgoer
stander-by

For "audience"-
congregation
crowd
gallery
gathering
market
public
admirers
assemblage
assembly
devotees
fans
following
hearers
house
listeners
moviegoers
onlookers
patrons
playgoers
spectators
theatergoers
turnout
viewers
witnesses
showgoers
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Participants sounds good.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Yes, Participant sounds good but how about a magician's term or non-laymen's term for participants or audience? Example; I have seen the word "turtle" used to refer to a coin shell.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Chollet wrote:
I often refer to them as participants, as this is what I want them to do on many levels: participate. Spectator sounds like a silent observer. However, I use these terms interchangeably amongst fellow magicians.

Participant is the phrase I like.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
I like to jokingly refer to my volunteers as "my next lifelong fan"
gets a laugh and seems to diffuse anxiety......
Bruce
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Participants, as in my magic I want them to feel being on an unique experience not a repeatable movie. Iwabt them to feel that if they were others or if some of the participants werent there, then the outcome (effect) of the cause would be different.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Good one, Bruce. Now we just need a term for it.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
In honor of the lovely Alyson Hannigan I now often refer to my audience helper as my Alyson. -Not while performing an effect but as a descriptor when explaining an effect to other performers. Smile