The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: Ten Commandments For Magic Dealers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If you could create ten Commandments for magic shops, be they real or virtual, what do you think they would be?

If you can't think of ten, go ahead and post what you can think of.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thou shalt not lie.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
CWMoss
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CWMoss
The following applies to internet magic dealers which includes anyone selling anything from a website:

First of all, acknowledge that you have my money.

It amazes me how many dealers take your money w/o a thank you. I don't care if its an autoresponder. Send me a note and let me know you have recieved my order and you have my money.

Second: If it's on back order, let me know right away.

I might want to reconsider. It should be my choice whether or not to let you have my money while I wait. Especially on big ticket items. I should be able to give a reasonable deposit until its ready to ship. You may or may notlose the order but you will still have me as a customer in the future.

Third: Let me know when I can expect delivery.

On big ticket items, I expect a tracking number. Don't make me go to the mailbox everyday hoping to find it when you know it won't ship for another three weeks.

Fourth: Be honest in your advertising.

I care about my reputation. You should care about yours. Even if you didn't write the ad copy, if you run it, it reflects on you and you should be prepared to stand by it.

Fifth: Treat me like a customer.

I have sent you money on good faith that you will deal with integrity. Communicate with me. Give me updates on back ordered items.

Sixth: Don't advertise what you don't have.

Seventh: If you have an exclusive product, you still need to follow these rules.

Eighth: Throw me a bone if you mess up my order.

Offer me a discount. Throw in a free trick. Apologize. Do something.

Ninth: Have some kind of guarantee.

Stand by what you offer. Have a return policy. I understand its somewhat problematic but how many times should I have to pay for the same secrets just because of deceptive and outright false ads? If the prop is inferior, even if not defective, I shouldn't have to keep it.

Tenth: Be considerate and have integrity.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
CW,

Those were BEAUTIFUL!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I related to everything you put on that list. It hit home on all ten points.

I hope and pray that some dealers will read your post and take heed.

Thanks for an excellent post, my friend!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The Eleventh Commandment. If you break the law you will get caught and possible end up in jail.
AaronSmith
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of AaronSmith
I decided to publish our Internal Policies in the form you guys have suggested. It’s a great idea that shows our customers where we’re coming from.

You can read ours here: http://www.magic.org/store/policies.php

Thanks for the tip!
The Magic Depot - Free Shipping WorldWide!

http://themagicdepot.com
andl
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
159 Posts

Profile of andl
I think videoclips are very importatn!
pics say more than 1000 words! and they don't lie that often! ;-)
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
When you make children's party magic props, put them together properly. What holds together in your store may not hold together on 6 or 7 parties a week. Start using brass screws, nails - just like the old days. Use proper hinges and wooden joints just like the old days! I'm simply fed up of having to reinforce and re-design equipment I've paid good money for!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
1 - Thou shall always deal fairly with a customer.

2 - Thou shall charge fairly

3 - Thou shalt not push cheaply made props to pros or working amateurs (or anyone else, for that matter!)

4 - Thou shalt always endeavor to please the customer to the best of your ability.

5 - Thou shalt ALWAY notify a customer of a backorder situation and KEEP IN TOUCH with them about it!

6 - Thou shalt not refuse to replace damaged goods returned in a resaonable time (both for you and the customer).

7 - Thou shalt not charge the customer until the product is shipped.

8 - Thou shalt always strive to be polite to the customer, even if the customer is a Class A jerk.

9 - Thou shalt never sell a trick that is above the skill level of the customer if at all possible and shalt make sure the customer grasps the technical requirements when they buy (if in person, especially).

10 - Thou shall never take another's money for an order and not do your very best to fulfill the order. Barring fulfillment, thou shalt refund the money, forthwith.

To me, this is professional behavior for a magic dealer. There's probably more, but my poor, befuddled brain (pain killers will do that to you when you injure a shoulder) can't put together much more... Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 00:59, Lee Darrow wrote:
3 - Thou shalt not push cheaply made props to pros or working amateurs (or anyone else, for that matter!)
Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

That has become one of the reasons I prefer shopping at a brick and mortar
and a reason I wouldn't buy any more from a fairly well known internet dealer
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am also tired of paying these high dollar prices and constantly having to rework the prop. Most everything I buy has to have something added on or reworked and it is not made very durable. I feel I have been ripped off repeatedly by various magic dealers. Dealer and manufaturer advertising is so deceptive that I've learned not to always believe what I read. I've learned the hard way too, as it has cost me lots of dough. This is one reason why I love the Café so much. I don't live near any magic source so opinions of others helps me tremendously.
There is so much discussion about ethics, yet I feel that many dealers and manufacturers are very unethical.
Am I alone on that last point, or do some of you feel the same way?

Regan
Mister Mystery
angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
I am glad I found this thread! Now I know how NOT to act!

MAJIC BRAND
Leave no wood unturned.....A
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I decided to publish our Internal Policies in the form you guys have suggested. It’s a great idea that shows our customers where we’re coming from.

You can read ours here: http://www.magic.org/store/policies.php

Thanks for the tip!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron-Well done on your policies!!!
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
Do not rip me off by trying to sell me floating dollar bill for 30 $!!
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
Thou shalt play nicely with other magic shop businesses.

Thou shalt have a decent supply of stock in your showroom and not just a bunch of old used magic that you have collected over the years

Thou shalt NOT hype substandard products or services beyond what they really are every single time you talk to someone.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Hey I can understand the problems with being a dealer and a lot of that problem is wholesalers that don't play fair or are a poor, unreliable supplier. If you start with a high wholesale, how the heck, at low volume, are you ever going to make your numbers? On the other hand, being a magic wholesaler is no volume bonanza either.

That along with low, sporadic sales (poor supplies, poor customer loyalty) and deeply increasing rents have all but killed Magic shops in my neck of the woods.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-09-03 14:02, CyberMage wrote:
Thou shalt play nicely with other magic shop businesses.

Thou shalt have a decent supply of stock in your showroom and not just a bunch of old used magic that you have collected over the years

Thou shalt NOT hype substandard products or services beyond what they really are every single time you talk to someone.

Ha! I know what you mean. I rarely find something that suits me in a magic shop.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
Quote:

Ninth: Have some kind of guarantee.

Stand by what you offer. Have a return policy. I understand its somewhat problematic but how many times should I have to pay for the same secrets just because of deceptive and outright false ads? If the prop is inferior, even if not defective, I shouldn't have to keep it.

Thou shall not sell me another thumb tip.
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I can think of a few magic dealers, especially one BIGGIE that's heeding these commandments after the existence of the Magic Café. If it was'nt for us they would not be in business!!
Gerard
AaronSmith
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of AaronSmith
I hadn’t looked at this topic in a while. Thank you ABM, publishing our internal policies not only helps business but also it forces us to live by them. Is there anything you would change? Any advice is appreciated.

- Aaron Smith
The Magic Depot - Free Shipping WorldWide!

http://themagicdepot.com