The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Is the unfaro a slight ? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
"Semi- Automatic Card Tricks Vol.9" has practically the whole book full of routines that use the Un-Faro. One even says it uses no slights, just two Un-Faro. And not a word on how to do this illusive maneuver.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
If by Un-Faro you mean what I've always seen called Anti-Faro, then no, I wouldn't call it a sleight. It's just a dealing procedure and usually the worst part of it is making it as less boring as possible!

If you own the books "Mnemonica" or "Sonata", the two masterpieces by Juan Tamariz, you'll' find chapters dedicated to the Anti-Faro. There are certainly other books that talk about it, I'm sure, but I'm not able to point you in any particular direction. Maybe someone else here on the Forum?

Mark
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
What Mark said.

The procedure itself is simple: hold the packet in dealing position and outjog every 2nd card until the packet is exhausted. What to do next depends on the effect.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Check out my Non-Faro Faro.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
This is a procedure that can be very effective in producing strong magic. Check out its use by Simon Aronson, John Bannon, Harry Lorayne in their recent works.
Excellent stuff.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Thank you, Steve call this a reverse faro. The Russian Genius call it one of the hardest controls My mistake.
Beam calls it semi-automatic.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Worst move ever. Also a pain in the ass to learn. Absolutely wasting your with this ****.
Steve Beam
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of Steve Beam
Ringmaster,

Just to clarify, Vol. 9 has a whole chapter devoted to the procedure, not the whole book. Claudio's description was on point, and I used to think the procedure was a waste of time. Now, I'm more in line with magicfish because I've seen what is possible with it. Your mileage may vary.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I can't get my mind around this as self working, but there is a ton of other good stuff in the book.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Bannon presents a "sort of psychic" trick using the reverse faro with 16 cards on his MoveZero dvd. (He credits Max Maven for an 8 card effect). I like the 16 card effect very much; and it does seem to be a mentalism with cards trick! I can understand RiderBacks' frustration with the move from a trick I once did using the entire deck (it becomes extremely unwieldy... and yes, a tad boring). 16 cards I think is just right, timing wise, ease of handling, etc. ps I don't perform the full deck trick any more; but can anyone remember the name of it? Lynn
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I use the Reverse Faro a lot - and teach/taught it a lot. The original Earthly Powers idea (Richard Vollmer) was based on it. I've taken that to an extreme. Powerful Powers in Jaw droppers One is one of the strongest impromptu card effect I know (and many have let me know that they feel the same way).

I use my Reverse Faro Ending a lot - it can be a real "jaw dropper."

The very first item in my up-coming book, AND FINALLY! - is PPP-Powerful Powers Presentation. Really...a jaw dropper. (Thanks for the plug opportunity.)

You really do have to start reading the good stuff, guys! Or - listen to the one who knows it all, RiderBacks.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2018, RiderBacks wrote:
Worst move ever. Also a pain in the ass to learn. Absolutely wasting your with this ****.

I think there's a confusion in this thread between two very different procedures with similar names: one is a simple dealing procedure where every other card is openly outjogged or injogged; the other is a very difficult sleight which accomplishes the unweaving all at once with a very knack-y move.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Landmark's correct. The procedure couldn't be any simpler, whereas Christian Engblom's move is extremely difficult to nail down:

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Just love the Café! 2 VIP authors on the same topic! As noted, the move is not difficult, so much as taking a long time if you use the entire deck (26 outjogs does take some time). Harry can be seen on youtube btw performing Powerful Powers, paring down the entire deck in a minimal amount of moves (so we will be looking for PPP). Lynn