The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Barry Mitchell DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BJ
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of BJ
I am considering purchasing "the magic of thinking creatively", a two-DVD set by Barry Mitchell.

Anyone has any info on these DVDs? Are they professionally made with a menu selection system, since the adverts says that there is a three hours show of props on these DVDs?
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Let me see. I'll start with, GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!

Honestly this is one of the best DVDs out in a long time. It's made mainly for stage shows, and it's geared towards kids, but his effects can be changed for anyone. His version of the Light and Heavy box is one of the best out there. It's not the one he has on the market; it's the "other one", the one that works on the principles of Robert Houdin.

It's jampacked with things, some I'll use, some I won't. But his presentations are great. If you're looking to be blown away consistently, this probably isn't for you. But if you are wanting to develop a stage routine that is marketable, get this DVD. It's excellent.

As far as the menu system, that's my only gripe. There is no menu system, as such. Only a screen that has a play button. But the effects are divided into chapters so you can chapter up and down quite easily. If you have his book, you know how creative this man is. It's an excellent DVD, one of my best purchases this year.

Joey Brummett
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
BJ
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of BJ
I have acquired the DVD and I have to agree that it is packed with stuff. The explanations are sometimes very short. You just get an idea of the basic principle used. But then I understand that this was a lecture, and Mr. Mitchell was running out of time.

The non-existant menu system will make it harder to go and search for a specific item when doing research in the future.

I would suggest to Mr. Mitchell to pick up four or five of his own creations and dedicate a whole DVD with more in-depth views on every item. There aren't any DVDs on the market of how to construct your own props so these could sell well. And with the hundreds of ideas he has he could produce a dozen of different DVDs to start of with!
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
I want to clarify my point after reading the other post. I don't know if I would enjoy this DVD quite as much if I didn't have the book as well. I see a trick performed and explain and then reference the book if I like it. So after re-watching it, he does sort of blow through things which would make creating these effects quite difficult, as some of them are technological.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I purchased this DVD when it first came out and have enjoyed it thorougly. As Joey said, it is not stuff that is going to blow you away as magic. What I really enjoyed about it was seeing how Barry created wonderful stories and plots that are entertaining and deliver a positive message. I have since purchased his "Attack of the Bookworms" and kids seem to love it. Barry's DVD is basically one long dealer demo of the products he offers, but there are lots of great anecdotes and his knack for storytelling provides lots of inspiration for creativity.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of Michael238
hey BJ, Martin Lewis does have 2 dvd out on making props.
They are caleed amking magic volume 1
And making magic volume 2.

They are very good.
BJ
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of BJ
Yes actually I have the 2 Martin Lewis DVDs. I like the style where he sits on his kitchen table and builds the prop infront of the camera. You learn a lot that way.
Hope he makes more dvds in the series.