The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Air Pressure Tech ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
This for an air reservoir in a flea circus that is activated to simulate the flea jumping into a pool of water.

To the point.
A 1" PVC pipe 12" long would have half the volume of a 2" PVC pipe 12" long. When inflated to 100 psi, both will have the same pressure but not the same volume, correct? They are both sealed at each end. There is a Schrader valve to charge the reservoir and a hose barb to send pressure to the solenoid air valve.

A 12v dc solenoid air valve is rated to hold 174 psi in the reservoir until 12v dc is applied at which time the valve is opened and air will be released until the valve power is removed. This is the circuit.

The problem.

When the 1" PVC reservoir is charged to 100 psi and no power is applied the valve will allow air thru until approx 40 psi remains, at which time the valve will close. When 12v dc is applied a rather puny air blast will be released. When the hose from the reservoir is reversed to opposite side of the valve, there is no air flow with power applied or removed.

Question.
Why does the valve bleed off to a pressure way less than its rating? What would you suggest to correct this so as to keep the reservoir charged.

Thank you for any help.
Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
1Show4U
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of 1Show4U
Have you replaced the Solenoid? Sounds like a defective solenoid that can't properly regulate the pressure. Smile
It's Entertaining!
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

I purchased three each of two different solenoids. Two of one batch and one of the other have the same results when connected.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
1Show4U
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of 1Show4U
Alright Peter... According to my friend, the bleeding is due to Boyle's Law of pressure equation. How correct is he I am not sure for he did not give me a resolution to your issue. I think the F#$#$@#%$er don't know how to resolve it. I tell him he has stupidity written all over his face and I should use a 2 by 4 on his head hahahahahahah!!!!

Unfortunately, I am Audio Visual, Graphics, Computer IT Support and Resolution and sheeeeet of other occupational hazard and not a machine Engineer like that Mother Fer hahahah!!!

Here is my resolution to Boyle's Conclusion of pressure proportion.

A couple weeks ago, I thrown out a Pressurized Regulated Valved Tire Bead Breaker that was barely used. I thought I was Mister know it and all can change a tire at home. I did change a tire and repaired a flat using the Breaker..... but I also Screwed scraped the rim and tire!! hahahahaha

At any rate, the bead breaker entail a tank, a regulator, and a manual valve. You can get a closer view of that breaker maybe at Harbor Freight. Use similar parts from the breaker inline with your Air setup and you should be able to resolve the blead. You know what I mean Jelly Bean?

Boyle's law (sometimes referred to as the Boyle–Mariotte law, or Mariotte's law[1]) is an experimental gas law that describes how the pressure of a gas tends to increase as the volume of the container decreases. A modern statement of Boyle's law is

The absolute pressure exerted by a given mass of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to the volume it occupies if the temperature and amount of gas remain unchanged within a closed system.[2][3]

Mathematically, Boyle's law can be stated as

P ∝ 1 V {displaystyle Ppropto {frac {1}{V}}} Ppropto {frac {1}{V}}

or

P V = k {displaystyle PV=k} PV=k

where P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume of the gas, and k is a constant.

The equation states that the product of pressure and volume is a constant for a given mass of confined gas as long as the temperature is constant. For comparing the same substance under two different sets of conditions, the law can be usefully expressed as

P 1 V 1 = P 2 V 2 . {displaystyle P_{1}V_{1}=P_{2}V_{2}.} P_{1}V_{1}=P_{2}V_{2}.

The equation shows that, as volume increases, the pressure of the gas decreases in proportion. Similarly, as volume decreases, the pressure of the gas increases. The law was named after chemist and physicist Robert Boyle, who published the original law in 1662.[4]
It's Entertaining!
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Thank you Show. I'll give it a think and then get to work.

Pete
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

In the prototype I used 1" PVC. Changed it to 2"x12" PVC to increase the volume and it worked very well. It allows for 4 to 5 air bursts that give a cannonball rather than a plop.

So I found out it is not the psi, rather it is the volume of pressurized air for this particular problem.

Thanks to all the responses and guidance to find the solution.

Pete
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
From the sounds of it you are getting WAY too much of a burst of water...a flea is supposed to be microscopic and should create a 'plop' or a stream of water at most when he lands. A few years back I created many circuses, many were electronic. I attached a link to view one of them that used electronics and magnetics to accomplish the feats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XucPd8BVs

Chuck
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Chuck, how is regulating the pressure accomplished. In the Noon instructions he does not show how this is done. The system goes from holding tank to air valve to check valve to exhaust thru the water pool. Is a needle valve suppose to be in the system as well?

Pete
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
You are thinking too much...that system is flawed...I will pm you.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Going to blame it on my Airframes and Hydraulics training from 21 years in Naval Aviation. Only one of the birds I worked on is still in inventory and that has changed radically from my Lot 8 FA-18.

Thank you for the help.
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com