The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Unliftable (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
iñaki z
View Profile
New user
Madrid,Spain
18 Posts

Profile of iñaki z
Quote:
On May 3, 2024, tophatter wrote:
Oh Visible! Geez Not Good Thanks for saving me another trick that goes In the draw !!

I respect all opinions but I disagree with this. For example, Is our FT invisible? Surely not. Can the spectator see something they don't know exists? I don't think so.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
"I really, really love the trick, but I wish that all sides of the box looked like the bottom part of the box. I do not regret my purchase and would never tell anyone not to buy this because it is a beautiful effect, but I think having all the sides of the box be consistent would have been the best idea."

A very interesting thought and I do agree that probably would have been the best decision.
iñaki z
View Profile
New user
Madrid,Spain
18 Posts

Profile of iñaki z
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, Jared wrote:
"I really, really love the trick, but I wish that all sides of the box looked like the bottom part of the box. I do not regret my purchase and would never tell anyone not to buy this because it is a beautiful effect, but I think having all the sides of the box be consistent would have been the best idea."

A very interesting thought and I do agree that probably would have been the best decision.

I'm sorry But my level of English does not allow me to understand what you are saying. Jared, You mean you don't like Unliftable? If you have any issues, send me a PM,please, and I'll try to help you as much as I can.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
Hi Inaki,

No worries my friend Smile In brief, all I was saying is that I really LIKE the effect (and I truly do) but if they used the same material needed to make the deck 'stick' to smooth surfaces then it probably would have passed the "casual inspection" test. As it is right now, you cannot hand this to someone for examination because one side of the card case is different from the opposite side. But for my intended application (a gag used within a magic set) it's perfect for my needs. But if was using this for a serious hypnosis demonstration, then you might want the deck to be more examinable than it is. This is why in my previous post I mentioned that you should decide HOW you intend to use deck this before purchasing.
iñaki z
View Profile
New user
Madrid,Spain
18 Posts

Profile of iñaki z
Great, now I understand you. My experiences tells me that although I don't give it to examine if the spectators have it before the effect (I ask them to put the cards inside and I ask them the weight of the set)After that, no one ever told me anything about the box. Even magicians when they have it in their hand do not usually understand how the method works. I put a ring on top and talk about how heavy a marriage can be, I play with that. Taking attention away from the deck,pretending... Thank you for your knowledge and time.
R3000
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of R3000
Thanks for clarifying, my friend. The decks have two different sides. Don't get me wrong please, In my opinion it makes no sense to make the two sides the same, the owners of unliftable will know why. Besides, I've been doing this for 7 years, no one will be suspicious if you let them hold the deck before doing the trick. There will be no need to inspect afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong [/quote]

The trick is great and works really well. Unfortunately already when I showed the trick the first time somebody asked me "Hey, what's that on the bottom?". The second group I showed this trick to got the box in their hands before I showed the trick and they were wondering about the bottom. I'm sorry but this doesn't work for me. I like doing this trick for my self but not showing it to others. It's too visible.
iñaki z
View Profile
New user
Madrid,Spain
18 Posts

Profile of iñaki z
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, R3000 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, my friend. The decks have two different sides. Don't get me wrong please, In my opinion it makes no sense to make the two sides the same, the owners of unliftable will know why. Besides, I've been doing this for 7 years, no one will be suspicious if you let them hold the deck before doing the trick. There will be no need to inspect afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong

The trick is great and works really well. Unfortunately already when I showed the trick the first time somebody asked me "Hey, what's that on the bottom?". The second group I showed this trick to got the box in their hands before I showed the trick and they were wondering about the bottom. I'm sorry but this doesn't work for me. I like doing this trick for my self but not showing it to others. It's too visible. [/quote]
bueno Okay, I can guarantee you that it works, from my experience and that of many other colleagues, other I understand that all tricks are not for all magicians. If you like the effect, I encourage you to continue looking for a presentation that you like. Thank you very much for your honesty, it helps me improve.
Haribopeep
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Haribopeep
This effect is clever but to me only useful for a gag type scenario as Jared has said.
It always works on the correct surface, with the cards in the box (which are plentiful).
I use it as a gag after doing a card effect first once I am certain the surface works.
Simple to make once you have bought it as I have and then made a couple more that actually work better than my Blackpool original.
Anyway it does what it says on the tin and it’s a very clever principle that Penguin had out a few years back (I believe from the same creator).
TresBoss
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of TresBoss
So if I understand correctly:
JETlivesON (and maybe Jared) own the trick and say they like it but it would be better to have all sides of the deck the same looking so it will be more examible.

But the creator iñaki says that it will not improve examinabily of the trick when having all sides looking equal and that "the owners of unliftable will know why"

I'm confused about this because when JETlivesON owns the trick he knows what he's talking about, so his advice for improvement should make sense hmm, I'm really confused.
Haribopeep
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Haribopeep
TresBoss you are right to be confused as my box I bought at Blackpool and subsequent ones I made have the correct front and back of a bicycle box.
So I too haven’t a clue what they are talking about.
What makes this work is invisible to the naked eye and the surface that makes it unliftable is face down on the table.
You have every right to be bamboozled.
I am with you as I have 3 of them and the box orientations etc are as you would expect.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
Quote:
On May 7, 2024, TresBoss wrote:
So if I understand correctly:
JETlivesON (and maybe Jared) own the trick and say they like it but it would be better to have all sides of the deck the same looking so it will be more examible.

But the creator iñaki says that it will not improve examinabily of the trick when having all sides looking equal and that "the owners of unliftable will know why"

I'm confused about this because when JETlivesON owns the trick he knows what he's talking about, so his advice for improvement should make sense hmm, I'm really confused.

Okay guys, here goes...I am literally holding the card box in my hand. The "gimmick" is on the bottom of the card box. But it is not noticeable under certain lighting conditions (early evening or later). In broad daylight it will stick out like a sore thumb if you purposely shove it in the spectator's face. The spectator only see's the top and sides of the box during the performance. You CANNOT hand this box out for examination with the gimmick not being questioned, period. I don't care what anybody says. So, some spectator management is crucial to having success. Again, ask yourself what you intend to do with this thing before buying it. If you are using it like me, then you'll probably love it because it works as good as advertised. I can't comment about whether encasing the box on all sides with the same material would be an improvement. The creator has obviously "worked" this thing for 7+ years, and so I will defer to his better judgement about the product design.
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I have performed Unliftable for several people in a restaurant setting on smooth wooden tabletops and they have been perplexed by it. Following the performance suggestions that accompanied the effect, with the small tab facing me and away from my spectator/participant, so far, no one has even spotted the tab. I think this is a neat, easy to perform effect that will amaze most people.
Eric.