The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Does this qualify as a workshop item? Chinese Egg Bag. (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'm retired and reviving my childhood interest in magic. I recently purchased a vintage "house of a 1000 mysteries" catalog from 1961 (same that I had Smile back then). In perusing the catalog I ran across the "Chinese Egg Bag" trick that I had when I was just 14. This prop is trivial to construct. Found a wood egg on the big dominating on-line discounter for $2.26. A search revealed I can pick up the mat ready made for a couple of bucks too. For the egg I think I'm going to drill it and use glue rather than use the "vintage" method -- as the egg I purchased does not have a flat bottom. So for less than $5 and little skill I've recreated one of my youthful magic effects.

I'll try to use my imagination and come up with some routines.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Docguitarman,

Of course that's a workshop item worth talking about. Welcome and glad to have you here.

Gimpy
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The fun is in coming up with new ways to use the props after they are built. For example, if you combine the "Chinese Egg Bag" with the "Dove to Silk Mat" from our Dollar Store Magic Book 1, item 1, you can end by tossing the egg up in the air and having it turn into a white silk with a yellow circle in the center, looking like an egg yolk. Or, if you use the "this is a wooden egg, it was laid by a decoy duck" joke, you can turn it into a pile of sawdust for a finale.

These kinds of tricks I classify as "kitchen workshop props" since I can sit in my kitchen and work on them without using power tools, instead of having to mess up the basement woodshop or get covered in sawdust. An intermediate workshop is my spring and summer "outdoor workshop" in the backyard where I can tackle bigger projects and enjoy the company of birds and squirrels and cats.

So welcome to the workshop of whatever type and enjoy the art of making magic props before making magic happen.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Docguitarman,

Welcome to the workshop! The Chinese Egg bag was one of my favorite tricks when I was a kid, although I never tried the "lemon" surprise ending. My hands were not big enough! Ha!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hi guys!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and encouragement! I'll try to post a photo when the egg arrives and is gimmicked! I just noticed it is literally coming on the slow boat, lol ! It has shipped but delivery ETA is December 1!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2017, jimgerrish wrote:
The fun is in coming up with new ways to use the props after they are built. For example, if you combine the "Chinese Egg Bag" with the "Dove to Silk Mat" from our Dollar Store Magic Book 1, item 1, you can end by tossing the egg up in the air and having it turn into a white silk with a yellow circle in the center, looking like an egg yolk. Or, if you use the "this is a wooden egg, it was laid by a decoy duck" joke, you can turn it into a pile of sawdust for a finale.

These kinds of tricks I classify as "kitchen workshop props" since I can sit in my kitchen and work on them without using power tools, instead of having to mess up the basement woodshop or get covered in sawdust. An intermediate workshop is my spring and summer "outdoor workshop" in the backyard where I can tackle bigger projects and enjoy the company of birds and squirrels and cats.

So welcome to the workshop of whatever type and enjoy the art of making magic props before making magic happen.

Wow! Thanks Jimgerrish. The Dove to Silk sounds great! I'll definitely take a look!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
Docguitarman,

Welcome to the workshop! The Chinese Egg bag was one of my favorite tricks when I was a kid, although I never tried the "lemon" surprise ending. My hands were not big enough! Ha!

~michael

I was the same. Never had the nerve to try it !
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In my e-Book "There's an Egg in your Hat" found in Mini-Mysteries Book 4 on The Magic Nook, there is a bonus effect included that you might want to incorporate into your routine with the Chinese Egg Bag (it also works with the Sucker Silk to Egg trick). The bonus is called: "Broken and Restored Egg". It always used to annoy me that when I ended an egg trick by breaking the egg into a glass, that I had no way to restore the egg. Well, now I do!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
While I'm waiting for the egg what is now state-of-the-art for invisible thread material? Back in the day we used thin nylon IIRC. Recommendations appreciated !
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I performed this at every show as a youngster, and ended with the lemon. I never thought about using the mat to snap the lemon into the air and catch it on it's decent, for an exciting action filled climax.

Gee, it took 60 years to come up with the climax to this trick. Wish I could go back in time and try it out.

As for IT, just use the standard sewing thread sold at fabric stores.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I performed this at every show as a youngster, and ended with the lemon. I never thought about using the mat to snap the lemon into the air and catch it on it's decent, for an exciting action filled climax.

Gee, it took 60 years to come up with the climax to this trick. Wish I could go back in time and try it out.

As for IT, just use the standard sewing thread sold at fabric stores.

I'll have to give the toss a try ! Thanks

As to standard thread, since I'm going for a more stealthy attachment (drilling and gluing in a small dowel to secure the thread to the egg) I think I might need a more wear resistant thread than sewing thread.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've always liked nylon monofilament thread, smoke colored, from the upholstery section of the fabric store. Not completely invisible (depending, of course on backdrop and lighting) but fairly sturdy.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
While I'm waiting for the egg what is now state-of-the-art for invisible thread material? Back in the day we used thin nylon IIRC. Recommendations appreciated !

Doc... They come in elastic & non-elastic thread, and also clear (or close to clear) monofilament (which isn't technically thread, but is clear and strong. An overlooked use for monofilament is twisting a length to turn movement here into movement over there...
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.