The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: My Version - Winston Freer Puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
I made this in a 5" wide x 6.25" high size; it has a walnut frame with maple pieces.

It's not too difficult; the main task is to get the angle of the large piece cut so that the centerline is perpendicular to the sides. I cut the squares out with a V bit, and then filled the gap with a black Sharpie. The pieces should not be shallow, in order to mask things better.

All it takes is some elementary knowledge of trigonometry and a couple of jigs.

Click here to view attached image.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
412 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I am QUITE a fan of the various versions and variation of the Freer puzzle. Yours is quite attractive! Congratulations on the precise workmanship it takes to turn one of these out.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lnlver
Thanks for the compliment, Rhett. The puzzle actually looks better in person, than in the photo.

I made two of them initially; one for me and the other for a professional magician friend of mine here in town. I decided on this particular size, because I wanted him to be able to carry this in his suitcase easily when he does his closeup shows. The other versions I have seen have this in computer tablet size.

I am keeping the jigs for this trick. If I ever make any more, I'll be able to spit them out more quickly. Woodworking is one of my major hobbies.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2017, lnlver wrote:
The puzzle actually looks better in person, than in the photo.

Nice Job! I've noticed that taking photos is a good way to make sure the project is as good as it needs to be.
(Notice I did not say perfect, as most things do not need to be perfect to be great.)
In person it can look just fine and for some reason the camera highlights slight imperfections even without a flash.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
412 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Inlver... I thought I would share with you the version of the Freer Puzzle that I built about a year ago. It uses MDF for the puzzle pieces and I finished all of the grey pieces in a texture paint (maybe you can see that in the photo) and the three addition/subtraction pieces in bright primary colors. I call it the Modern Art Freer Puzzle. My routine suggests that with modern art - like the work of Piet Mondrian - whose work this puzzle suggests - pieces of the design can be added to or removed from the composition without changing the art!

Click here to view attached image.
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of maratekin
Both pieces are beautifully done - nice work!

Mark