The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Why would penguin put this on youtube? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
The phrase "locks together with a magnet is pretty clear.

I own thisin walking liberty and I bought a single gravity flipper. It does not lock with the magnet "alone" as one coin. The magnet is to facilitate other effects using other magnetic coins of a set like triception. AGAIN, it doesn't lock with the magnet and if you pick it up, it flops open. Hence gravity flipper.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3254 Posts

Profile of magicmind
You can also use the flipper in double deception, which I assumed is obvious, but did not state it above.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Double Deception (DD) is not the same as his NGF (Next Generation Flipper).
Double Deception Deluxe (DDD) uses the same new mechanisms as the NGF, so is "bandless" but is otherwise like the original DD.
Mark Mason's site also claims it locks, and needs the included "unlocking system":
https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/j-b-elite-line......swadling

There's also a Triception set: https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/j-b-exclusives......rk-mason
Which has some magnetic properties included, but does not normally lock, as you mention.

I think maybe you have a NGF (or Triception set), and not a DDD? They're not the same gaff.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2017, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Over 11,000 people viewed the video to date. Rick Lax has a lot of laymen followers from his Facebook page so he should be more careful about what he discusses and reveals on social media. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was kicked off the Café because of his behaviour. He appears to be modelling himself on Brian Brushwood. Not a good move imho.

I suggest he removes the exposure video asap.

Get your facts straight before you post untruths. Lax stopped posting because of negativity from other posters and nothing more.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Is this what Eric Jones used on AGT ? sure looks like it .Quarters are to small does this come in half dollars or Morgan Dollars ?
Thanks,
Jeffrey
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Did he use a flipper? Absolutely. Did he use one of Mark Mason's Double Deception Deluxe (which Mark will certainly make in Kennedies, Walking Liberties or Morgans)? I'd say that's unlikely, but possible.

Because it's not handed out in the show, I can't tell if it was a locking one. It could be, but doesn't have to be.
There are also other manufactures that make locking ones, even if it did.

It's basically impossible to tell for certain without Eric telling us.
A better question might be: could you do a routine like the one he did on AGT with a DDD, and the answer to that is yes.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, tophatter wrote:
Is this what Eric Jones used on AGT ? sure looks like it .Quarters are to small does this come in half dollars or Morgan Dollars ?
Thanks,
Jeffrey

I believe jones uses Schoolcraft gravity flippers. Double deception wouldn’t work due to the reset.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
980 Posts

Profile of espmagic
If nothing else the original video teaches us that the internet has a loooong memory, so be careful what you put there!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, John C wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5o3xD7EGvs

Seems like a little blatant exposure for the purpose of sales doesn't it?

It's called effective sales and marketing. The magic production industry is finally catching on. With some aspects, exposing the secret can help boost sales.
They are also learning that exposure on social media isn't a bad thing.

Almost six and a half years later since this topic originated and you can still go out and perform with a flipper coin with satisfaction. All the countless posts about exposure.
Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Any exposure is wrong, it is as simple as that.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
That theory is tremendously outnumbered.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, EZrhythm wrote:

Where do you perform? If someone watches your act and then starts publicizing the methods, would it not affect you?

It is never a problem until it personally affects you....then it is a problem.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Any exposure is wrong, it is as simple as that.

Hear! Hear!

I'm a bit old compared to most, qualifying for Social Security. I was bitten by the magic bug in the early 70's at around age 11 or 12. Secrets could be found through library books and magic items in toy stores. Marshall Brodien was big on TV and at some retail places. My mother purchased the Bull Bixby "The Magician" magic set and my brother and I started practicing. I also began purchasing by mail order from Brodien and learned from books at the library. Magic could be learned, but it wasn't given away. You had to search for it and actually read to learn. Several years later a magic shop opened up in my hometown and I really began to study.

I eventually became a demonstrator there. I wasn't given any information about the local magic club until the owner was certain I was serious about magic. One day I purchased Milbourne Christopher's Panorama of Magic and some fanning powder. The owner said anyone interested in the history of magic and card manipulation had to be serious so I was finally told about the local magic group.

Even in the shop, we were careful about selling advanced magic to people who were not serious about the art of magic. We would explain to people that certain items were for advanced or professional magicians and we wouldn't sell them to everyone even though they wanted to buy them.

The genii will not be going back into the bottle, so the world of magic will never be the way it was. However, we need to be proper gatekeepers. We need to help people be serious students of magic and not simply well-informed observers. We need to have the younger generation understand that creators have the right to expect the protection of the secrets and routines they have created. Magicians certainly share among the group, but making items readily available to anyone who can click on a link is just unacceptable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh no the exposure is wrong argument.

Ok it is wrong. Now what? It isn’t going away. But a donkey and find a windmill.

Is this their own creation? If so they can sell it however they like right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2024, Dannydoyle wrote:
Oh no the exposure is wrong argument.

Ok it is wrong. Now what? It isn’t going away. But a donkey and find a windmill.

Is this their own creation? If so they can sell it however they like right?

Or not sell it at all. It is no longer available on their site.

I'm going to haveto get on my donkey and ride into the sunset...
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2024, EZrhythm wrote:

Where do you perform? If someone watches your act and then starts publicizing the methods, would it not affect you?

It is never a problem until it personally affects you....then it is a problem.

No, it wouldn't effect me per my posts above on the topic.
Your reply disregards all of my points.
In addition a majority of people are not searching for magic tricks on line. Take the oldest effects in magic and you will have no problem finding an audience to perform for.
Even the thumb tip has had great exposure and I still can go out and make amazement for people. Smile
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Of course there is an argument. Considering the amount of what people are calling "exposure" that has been going on and continues today, there isn't any evidence being found that indicates a poor effect on the magic community. In fact, businesses such as Penguin are doing phenomenally well while many retail shops of all sorts are closing.
Exposure is increasing the popularity of magic, bringing an increased number of those interested in pursuing magic and increased sales for magicians and producers.

Smile