The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Cleaning coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RxGregory
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO
65 Posts

Profile of RxGregory
Quote:
On 2004-05-15 12:55, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What are folks doing with their coins that gets them so dirty they need cleaning?

I for one don't have a lot of cash to be spending on uncirculated coins. I like them to be shiny, but not TOO shiny. If I can find a Morgan for $8.00 that's dirty, I'll buy it and clean it up. You're right though, you only have to clean it once, and with regular use you'll never have to clean it again. Baking soda and vinegar/water for cleaning silver coins, and Taco Bell sauce/ ketchup for copper work great for me. I also agree with Mike NOT to tell a dealer you're going to be cleaning them. You can almost see the smoke coming out their ears when you do.
If it was easy, everybody would do it, and if everybody did it, it wouldn't be magic.
David Roth (Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 11)
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
I use apple cider vinegar to clean my coins.

This is one of the main ingredients of ketchup, that some people use to clean coins. Buy the darker apple cider vinegar not the clearer type.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-05-14 08:33, Magix wrote:
I use gun cleaner, good ol' Hoppes #9. Works well for me.

Be careful with Hoppe's #9. While it is probably safe for silver coins, it is not good on copper. It will dissolve copper and brass. I'd avoid it on silver, too.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Good ole Coke - the drinking kind - leave them in it overnight.

Et Voila

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----