The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Help! How do I get rid of colloquial , non-grammatical phrases? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I recently made a DVD of myself performing and I was very pleased with the audience reaction, but I noticed that I kept saying , " I'll take this red hanky LIKE THIS HERE and...etc.

Like this here! Like this here! Like this here. I wasn't even aware that I was saying this. It's almost as bad as having a speech defect. I am now aware of the problem ? How do I rid myself of it?

Electroshock therapy, signs, medication? I am not over-reacting. I counted 20 of "Like this here's" in a forty-five minute period. Please help me. I'm desperate!

Darryl, the like this here Wizard!
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
What are you doing with the Hanky. You might want to change your line to what you are trying to do. Instead of Like this here.
Tarbell Magic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Tarbell Magic
Hello DarryltheWizard,

Use a word processor and script your routines, beginning, middle, and end. Then learn your script.

Underneath each line of patter, using italics, type what you should be physically doing at that moment in time, i.e. producing a red handkerchief, or vanishing it.

Knowing exactly what you are going to say, and when, will reduce the chances of you saying things such as “…Like this here.”

It could also be down to nerves!

Hope this helps Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Writing
Speaking
Elocution
Reading well written material helps.
As does listening to cogent discussion.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Darryl the Wiz,

The fact that you yourself noticed this thing is an indication that you are on your way to recovery.

I experienced it myself. Writing a script and choreography in concert should do it.Of course mental rehearsal is a must.

Enjoy!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
april200487a
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of april200487a
Go for the shock therapy then get back to us with the results.
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Thanks for the advice. I decided on "shock therapy", but not the kind you're probably thinking of. I made a large computer generated sign and have in inside the back of my case. When I go to retrieve a prop, I am shocked to see the sign " Like this here" No! No!

Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Scripting the routine is a great way to rid yourself of useless phrases. As you write, these phrases will not even make it to the paper (monitor). Once the first draft is completed, you can go back and tighten the script. Then as you practice the routine, you will come to know what you will say next. This eliminates the "filler phrases" such as, 'you know', 'just like that', 'ummm', 'Ok?' and the like.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I haven't had a good laugh like that for a while. Thanks, Daryl.

I can't offer to "good like" of advice, except learn to catch yourself in error.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Now that you're aware of it, just stop saying it.
Daniel Faith
peterng25
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of peterng25
Have you tried toastmasters if all else fails?

The table topics feature, where you make a 45 secs+ speech on any impromptu topic should help, especially when there's someone who's counting your ahs, or in the case of "like this here", 'xerox' words. And you have to pay 20 cents for each infraction, that will help!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
WHY, WHY, WHY haven't you scripted you're performance? If you would write your script from beginning to end and then learn the script word for word, this would not be an issue. Why haven't you done this?
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Maybe he subscribes to the advice given in Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue:

"It is just as much of a mistake to learn your patter word for word, to be recited like a parrot... A good method is first in private to think out the talk which you will use, keeping it in character with your own personality and style of presentation...After several days go over your talk once more, but this time make no attempt to repeat word for word what you have learned. Your memory will feed you the highlights and although you may clothe these thoughts in new words, you will gain spontaneity. You may not use the trick for which you have prepared in this manner for months on end, but when you do use it you will find that you will remember what to say and how to say it."

I personally subscribe to the belief that whether it's best to memorize your patter or not depends on the individual. Some magicians may work better memorizing their patter, others may prefer to be more spontaneous. However, in this case, I think it would be best to use scripted patter.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

It is called a script.

I'm sorry but Huggard was just wrong.

Every professional performing art uses scripts - even jazz musicians follow a chord chart if not the written music.

Why do "magicians" insist that they can just wing it when most if not nearly all have little or no theatrical or performing experience or training?

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME PLEASE!

Wait, before you justify this loosey goosey train of thought let me wrap my head in duct tape...

OK, go.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Because writing a script is too much work, BDC. Duh. Smile

Also, if you memorize a script, you'll come across as too stilted and sound like a robot. I don't care if actors do it on Broadway every day. I don't care that every single movie/tv show was made using actors who memorized their lines.

I don't care that getting improv training might be the one thing that could actually be useful if I was going to wing it. It's too much work.

I don't care that every top professional I've talked to has told me that they script everything.

I don't care that having a script actually gives me more freedom to experiment and be spontaneous than not having one.

I guess I just don't care...

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Said the man with tongue in cheek... Smile
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-05-17 10:39, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Said the man with tongue in cheek... Smile

Good thing I was typing, otherwise all you would've heard was "MPhh tthhhmmm mmuu."

;)

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
JohnDoh
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JohnDoh
Script writing is probably the best way to deal with this, but if you're against it, there are a few other ways. I remember when I was first interviewing for odd jobs I had a particular liking for the word "like," and spent a good month eliminating it from my vocabulary. One way worked pretty well, though.

I had my family and friends point it out every time I said the forbidden phrase. This wasn't too bad at first, but after a week of "You said it again!" I was annoyed enough to put more effort into changing my ways.

Videotaping yourself was a good start, but writing out your patter is probably the best way to go. Still, don't be a slave to the script.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Quote:
Still, don't be a slave to the script.

Now, why did you say that? I promise you that if you will write a concise script from beginning to end and memorize it word for word you will have far more freedom than "pattering".

I'll go a step further. I want to challenge any performing pro here who does not currently use a written script to do so. I will pay $10 to any one who does this, and does not see a huge difference after a month.

If after a month, you do not see a difference, send me a copy of the script and a video tape of a performance using that script and I will pay you $10.

Any takers?
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Moonlit Knight
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.
113 Posts

Profile of Moonlit Knight
Just started reading this thread and, hey, peterng25, you beat me to the punch about Toastmasters with one exception---I'm not in the “if all else fails” camp. Toastmasters can be a long-term solution.

DarryltheWizard, find a Toastmaster Club in your area that you are comfortable with. (You can find which ones are in your area by going to http://www.toastmasters.org/find/) Remember, not all clubs are alike. In order to improve, you must find one that suits your needs and offers the learning environment that is conducive to what you want---some charge for using um’s, ah’s, you knows, like, and pregnant pauses and some do not.

If you listen to the Timer, Grammarian, Ah Counter, Evaluator, etc., and prepare your presentations using the guidelines suggested in the manuals, you will definitely improve your communication abilities on all levels. You’ll learn how to think on your feet, understand what people are paying attention to and improve your speaking style and mannerisms. This information will also be helpful when scripting a routine.

You usually can attend a few meetings as a guest to help you decide if the club is for you. If you join, you’ll be able to attend and participate in virtually any open Toastmaster Club around the world, if desired.

Toastmasters can be likened to Dale Carnegie, except it’s generally less expensive and you can go at your own pace.

F.Y.I. - Table Topics response time frame will be between one to two minutes.
Speeches will generally last between five to seven minutes, although in some manuals the time frame can be anywhere from one to two minutes all the way to 30 to 40 min.
Evaluations will be between two to three minutes.

B.T.W. - I’m a D.T.M., so I may be slightly biased.
"Join the dance... Follow on! With a twist of the world we go."
- Genesis "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight"