The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Pull Vanish (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Julie: I'm not familiar with his gimmick or the marketed trick...but it's an obvious approach so I'm sure its been "invented" over and over. Smile.

Also, I think Danny Korem had work on a pendulum-type gaff in his book, "Without Limits"...I fact I seem to remember he claimed he invented it (maybe, but not first), but I may be slandering him because I read the book so long ago, I may not have that right.

Mb: The vanishing shot glass was awesome - get's a hell of a reaction. Does anyone still make it available? Just last week I was shoveling out old stuff and I came across the pull for that...so old that the ball crumbled apart. Back in the day, I sometimes I reversed things and used it as an appearance of a full shot glass, using the gaff as a holdout instead of a pull.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

The shot glass vanish post got me wondering and, of course, the answer to my question was just a google away. Royal Magic still puts it out - at least I think that was the brand I had back in the day - and it's an Penguin Magic, among others.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think that's the cheapy one Dave... PMd you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
I used to have one of these pull devices when I was a kid, one attached to a coin, and one like a black rubber egg to vanish small objects like handkerchiefs and sponge balls. They were fun, but the best thing in this class of things for me was, "The Vanishing Shot Glass." Smile That was an amazing trick that creatively used this method of things. Smile

The vanishing shot glass was invented and often credited by Percy Abbott as the trick that made Abbott's Magic Novelty Company a success in the early days of that venerable enterprise. He called it, "Squash".

Julie
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
I used to have one of these pull devices when I was a kid, one attached to a coin, and one like a black rubber egg to vanish small objects like handkerchiefs and sponge balls. They were fun, but the best thing in this class of things for me was, "The Vanishing Shot Glass." Smile That was an amazing trick that creatively used this method of things. Smile

The vanishing shot glass was invented and often credited by Percy Abbott as the trick that made Abbott's Magic Novelty Company a success in the early days of that venerable enterprise. He called it, "Squash".

Julie

Yeah, "Squash" was the name I first heard. Mb told me the original Abbots version was a glass shot glass. By the time I got one, it was plastic. Wonder if anyone makes a glass version these days...

Back to Google, I guess.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure anyone makes a glass version nowadays (except maybe Abbotts?), plastic is so much cheaper for an effect that's really not done much if at all anymore....But, if you make the gimmick yourself, which is taught on one of the download websites I believe, you can probably use any shot glass you want...Just make it to fit as you like. Nice "pull" project for something truly amazing and classically worthwhile IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
You can also currently find glass "dessert cups" that are a bit taller than a shot glass and the same diameter, but without the heavy bottom a shot glass has. These are effective for Copentro. I imagine they would work well for Squash, too. Being light, the elastic would not need to be as heavy. If you choose to explore the Pendulum Principle the heavier shot glass might be better...

We recently bought a four pack of dessert cups at The Dollar Store (my hometown magic shop Smile.)

Julie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Updating to use a 5hour shot or ePipe?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I purchased Squash from Abbott's two years ago at a convention. It came with the heavy, real glass shotglass and the caution from the salesman to "be careful, because the glass can fall off easily during or after the performance." Another magician standing at the booth at the time also cautioned me that the trick was not reliable. After a few days of experimentation, I also found this to be the case and never had the nerve to try it in a show. Using a plastic glass with the original gimmick might change the physics enough to make it workable, but I don't know.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Where could I read more about those (i have read Wonder book 2 and Pat Page book on Pulls) ?
Also any video showing effects with it in action ?
thanks
VG
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1412 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, Stperformer wrote:
I don't know if you can still get this.....but InrediGo by Al Cohen. It's a pull (sorta)

Do any of you remember this?

Fooled me when I first saw it (which was a little while ago Smile

I recently acquired this neat little item. It was "Old New Stock".
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On May 12, 2024, Jerry wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, Stperformer wrote:
I don't know if you can still get this.....but InrediGo by Al Cohen. It's a pull (sorta)

Do any of you remember this?

Fooled me when I first saw it (which was a little while ago Smile

I recently acquired this neat little item. It was "Old New Stock".

I have this, but it's a while since I used it. I think it might be hard to use with a flat object like a coin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoADsQi5M7o