The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Abbott's Sword Thru Neck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dreddbatfan66
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dreddbatfan66
I have Abbott's Magic Sword Thru Neck trick and the blade on my sword needs to be replaced.I emailed Greg Bordner at Abbott's about replacing it and I haven't from him yet.In the meantime,I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to replace it if Abbott's can't or won't replace it.I looked on their website and I see not only their Sword Thru Neck but another one from a different company.I was wondering if Abbott's won't fix mine if the company who makes theirs would sell me just the sword from their Sword Thru Neck.Any suggestions or help that anyone can give me on the forum would be greatly appreciated.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7678 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Two metal tape rulers with clear mylar tape will do it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Richard,

As most tape rulers are yellow (some are white), the trick is to have them the correct color (silver). Years ago, I made a vanishing dove cage and it was a long, tedious process to wear away the yellow coating with steel wool.

What is your suggestion?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
This may solve the problem.

Here is the link https://www.uline.com/BL_6448/Metalized-......rc=aw.ds

If anyone has used this or the metal tape used in the HVAC industry please feel free to chime in.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7678 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, there is very thin mylar tape that can cover the entire ruler. In fact, It makes it more visible from stage. I know this is how I fixed one at one time years ago. I never had to strip the tapes. Possibly a solvent would work. The tape is the easiest way I found.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK, thanks to you both.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
How long do the swords last? I was looking at one in a magic shop the other day. The tip looked good at the start. Then I saw a demo. After the demo there was a small gap at the tip. Each time the sword went through, the tip of the blade ended up different. It seems they take some abuse going in and out. How long do they last?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you protect the tip with clear packing tape before each performance, the tip should last a very long time... exactly how long, I don't know, but mine is still good after 20 years of use... by Wiz Kids, no less! They all know how to change the tape before I let them use it! You actually don't have to change the tape after EVERY performance, but learn how to check it for signs of wear and the minute you see it opening up, it's time to change the tape.
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
FYI: I've noticed on mine that there is some kind of plastic foam between the metal tapes. I would think this would make it more robust.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have a Roydon original, and the scotch tape wore out on the inside, dried up. I contacted Abbott's, this was years ago when they still made Sword Thru Necks similar to Roydon's, only brown painted.

They sold me silver Mylar tape, 3 pieces for $10. I applied the tape and it has been going strong ever since.

I think the reason some get the end wore out, is because of the stock not made correctly. It has to be smooth inside, Roydon has metal on the outside, never took it apart to see if a metal strip in on the grooved stock side.

Some say that auto body detail shops should have this Mylar, but I never found any on the regular retail stores.

No nothing is between the blades except at the hilt end, this is for strength, just a small piece of wood, to keep it straight. I dug out the 2 finishing brads and use the sword so the handle comes off, as a gag.

I believe regular paint remover will remove ruler markings, but I was lucky and got back up blades from Haines House of Cards. Again, that was years ago, and when they were making this illusionette as well.