The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Quick Scotch and Soda question... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Does a magnetic version need a bang ring? If so, what is the advantage?

Never played the a magnetic one and was just wondering what that approach to the gaff brings to the table.

Thanks.
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
I have two Roy Kuepper's S&S magnetics and neither requires a ring but I have found the elements easier to separate with the aid of small neodymium magnets from the craft store. A firm rap will generally separate the components and that is what I did originally but it is much easier now to use the small neo as a handle to separate the parts. Inthis way I am less concerned about damaging any edges of either part. Give it a try and I think you will grow to like it.

Just keep the assembly away from magnetically encoded cards.

And, yes I still have ring--required coin sets as well, but I think those work better for larger diameter and thicker coins.

Hope this reply is what you were looking for.

Charlie

Lakewood WA
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The difference is that instead of using very tight tolerances to keep the parts together (thus requiring the sudden sideways "bang" to separate) it uses a magnet to keep things together.

That means that you can separate them with a firm shake or a second magnet, though a bang ring could do the job, too.

Some people love that, as the reset is shorter, and you don't have to go do something elsewhere (or visible). The down side is that there's a little more play, and the inner piece can turn. If a spectator were to handle the gimmick, they might notice more easily than on the non-magnetic one.

Which you like better is a matter of personal preference.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Dave, I can separate mine (actually my two different magnetic S&S gimmicks) using any ferromagnetic metal - i.e., anything made of steel. E.g., clip on a pocket knife, some belt buckles, suspender clips, etc. And of course a PK-type ring or even a magnetic pocket holdout.

Jim
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
How do they hold up for a spec's inspection? I don't hand out coins often, in fact rarely, but I used to hand out my Johnson set (non magnetic) with ZERO worries.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3632 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The ones that I have had, I would not hand out. The tolerances are not as tight, thus allowing the insert to have a little play. If you brush your thumb over it, it will move slightly and it a dead give away.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Thanks all!

And I appreciated the answers to the question that had occurred to me but not mentioned...that of whether the insert of the magnetic gaff rotated as it seemed it would have to.

I got an inexpensive Vodka and Orange juice set...which was terribly machined...and that's what got me thinking about the alternative.

Gotta love the knowledge base of the MC...
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
The magnetic ones I have also rotate. However, I have never had a Layperson try to "rotate" a coin. I could be wrong, but I believe that only a magician would rotate a coin.

Here is another perspective: when I perform with non-gaffed coins and place one or 2 in a participant's hand as part of the routine, I have never had a layperson try to "rotate" the coin(s) either.

Reset? Magnetic coins do not need a bang ring. you can remove the insert by holding the shell by the edges and applying force downwards towards your other hand. Striking the other hand but not allowing the Scotch and Soda to make contact with the other hand. this will release the insert from the coin without a bang ring.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Appreciate the real world perspective, Calvin.

Any recommendation from the fans of the magnetic versions as to who makes a decent one?