The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Electronics-Mechanical Magic Tricks Building Ideas.. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
suyash
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
7 Posts

Profile of suyash
Nice work with the watch Jeff - it's electromagnetic correct?
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
Thanks..
I made this remote unit to work with the CW/Viking Perfect Time watch (reed switch model) only.........not normal watches. The watch in the video is a PT watch, I just took the components out and put them in a watch that suits my style. 😎

Jeff
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, merlin5150 II wrote:
Anyone here proficient in coding in C , More specifically for Arduino?
Jeff

Oh, YES! Arduino actually covers a LOT of variety in micro-controllers, language, and as it started-hardware (boards).

I am looking for any excuse/idea to use my lab to make magic (get it?)...

I'll eagerly entertain any, "Can you...?" questions!
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I'll be contacting you soon Tap.......

Jeff
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, malaki wrote:
Doing this sort of thing has opened my eyes to using more mechanical means to accomplish magical effects. I work with computers (graphic artist), but have no idea of how to program. Any advice that could be given would be appreciated.

I'm trying to get up the nerve to start a post/thread asking what people want to have made. I do a lot of computer work, fixing, repairing and programming in the Java, C, and .NET worlds. Lately I've been working on tying tiny MCU (micro-controller) devices to larger PCs via wireless or serial. I think small MCUs are MADE for magic effects, as they are self-contained and really, really small. An MCU as big as a coin cell battery can run on that battery-and even be wireless!

I've had about a dozen loose/fuzzy ideas in mind with geared down (30rpm) mini-motors and servos to achieve close-up illusions, but I want to make something someone can actually use. So I want to solicit ideas for what could be of real use, make one, and see if they like it. In that sense, I'm l;ooking for partners who know the effect, and I will make the method.

So can you share what kinds of devices (large or small) you have envisioned that need to come into the world as a prototype? If you wish, I'm open to PMs. That goes for any-/everyone else!

Quote:
One device that I have contemplated over the years is a Cup & Ball table that used a carousel under the table that could be indexed to align with black art holes in the table. A small elevator device could bring about some amazing productions/transformations.

I am keenly interested in what you envision the spectator experience to be. I'm truly a solver/creator, with only about 30% imagination!

One idea I have is modeled after Fred Kaps' 'floating wine cork' in a box. He had a typical filament from a ring, and it was sold commercially. Instead of this static version, I'm thinking of mono-filament to a card via ortho/magician's wax, spinning in 'mid air', but slowly (~30rpm, for example). The speed could be adjusted based on light, sound, even remote... The card is easily removed for a souvenir (as Fed did with the cork), or used as a way to show their selected card, or... For all I know, it might look goofy.

The concept is centered around the effect changing with no physical motion of the performer. You know, the other hand tugging up & down, and no threads attached to walls, etc....impromptu/do-anywhere effects.

What are your thoughts?
Tap Roniart

# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
You'd have to come up with proto-types that demonstrate your ideas and go from there. Also, there are already devices that can do what I think you're describing like tarantula II for example and there are a few more. If you haven't already, you should check them out and see if you improve on them.
This is a good place to start, because there are people always wanting help with electronics and methods.

I'll PM you with my project idea, it's an advancement of my watch remote.

Jeff
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
Looking forward to it, Jeff! I'll share with you my next project, levitating beyond strings & wires!
Tap Roniart

magicmatt
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicmatt
I do a lot of electronic development and currently have products that I'm selling to Pro's around the world. If you ever have questions around design or coding I'm here to help. I do a lot of RF and Bluetooth stuff. I also do custom work for magicians.

Wilson Magic Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/153437041872138
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2017, magicmatt wrote:
I do a lot of electronic development and currently have products that I'm selling to Pro's around the world. If you ever have questions around design or coding I'm here to help. I do a lot of RF and Bluetooth stuff. I also do custom work for magicians.

Wilson Magic Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/153437041872138

Pm sent...

Jeff
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I guess a couple of years ago I started a Facebook page just for this:'Electronic and Mechanical Magic". It is a cool place for discussion and highlight what you have...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474716879461242/

Chuck