The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: European substitute to Shower Rod Cover (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
I'd like to build some appearing 8 ft rods and you fellow magicians in the States have a great item called Shower Rod Cover. I have tried to find those here in Europe but no success. Do you have any idea what to use as an alternative material? Or even better if you know a Shower Cover Rod seller in the EU. Has anybody used a plastic tube and if, what material is the best?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You have to consult the expert, those are your wife, daughter, mother, grand mother, in other words a woman. Shower rod covers were a big decoration thing a few years back. Now the world has moved on to other things to keep the money flowing in. These are usually sold at hardware stores, lumber and home remodeling centers, bath room décor stores, and the like. You will spend more time on the Internet then if you go to an actual store. Then either buy it, or take down the information on the product and find the best price on line. Just look for the split tube.

Her help will probably cost you some bathroom décor items, and she will be so happy, you might get lucky. Smile
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Yes, Bill. You're right. And the first thing was to ask my wife but she hasn't seen those here. She has also lived in Germany but doesn't remember those there either. I am afraid that it is an American thing. But I could ask this in the local hardware and home depot stores. Perhaps they know something even when Google doesn't find those. Propably I haven't tried right Finnish search terms.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
In the U.S. exposed long tube florescent lights in workplace settings are covered with a polycarbonate plastic tube to prevent glass from falling all over the place if the bulb is broken. These tubes are readily available at the big box home centers. Look for the equivalent in the UK. They are not split open like shower rod covers -- you have to do that yourself. The tubes are clear. The pros making appearing whatever cover the tubes with commercial vinyl used for signs and for advertising on autos. This is much more durable than typical shelf lining contact paper. Applying the paper to the tube without bubbles, going off track, or otherwise messing up is the difficult part. I've made several and would probably just purchase a commercial model next time. I had my wife help me and the $40 to buy one is cheaper than divorce. Smile
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
P.S. Shower rod covers are only 5 ft long. The tubes I mentioned come in longer lengths.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, TheRaven wrote:
P.S. Shower rod covers are only 5 ft long. The tubes I mentioned come in longer lengths.

Electrical supply houses have them in 8-foot lengths.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/