The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Building a Trunk for Metamorphosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll like the Trunk to look like a Normal old Trunk. but I need the Leather that goes on the side of it its kinda like a protection deal. I can find basically all of the other parts except for the Leather and the inside lining. Don,
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
For the leather, try naugahyde. Lots of colors, easy to work with, and readily available. If you want the thing to look old, you'll have to "distress" it. Check out some antique shops and look at some real old trunks to see what they really look like -- the locks, the fittings, and so on.

For the inside, wallpaper works fine. There's about a million different patterns. Just select one that goes with the "age" of the trunk.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe if you want something that looks like the original you should use canvass. This was a cheaper material they used in the old days. Leather was more for the places that got alot of wear like corners.

Just scotchgard it so you can clean it.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wmhegbli that is why I'm asking about the Leather. all the Plans I've seen are minus the leather for the corners. also what year was canvas used on the Trunks. and what is the best way to apply/put it on. Don,
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not know for sure, I am not that old Smile, but I would say we are talking about the 20's or early 30's. I would glue the material on with a mixture of 50/50 white glue and water. You can shellac the material to give it an aged look if you want.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wmhegbli Thank You I'll try that but I'll prefer something like from the 1800's I know they had decorations on the outside to Don,