The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Need help constructing weird gimmick! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
Ok guys...I'm working on a coin effect that builds up to me making a coin levitate. Since I'll have to be working with very large coins (silver dollars to be exact) , I figure it won't be possible to use any type of "invisible" thread since even a quarter wouldn't stay affloat for very long. (I also need it to levitate by using thread for various reasons.)

Therefore, I want to construct something that looks exactly like a silver dollar, only it would be made of a much lighter material. I've been considering scanning the image of a silver dollar and sticking it to a peice of cardboard, or maybe a poker chip. This would hopefully give me something that looks exactly like a normal silver dollar, only now a levitation effect could be performed.

Any ideas are more than welcome, and thanks ahead of time.

-Peter
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just buy the one on the market.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

What? And where? Could you be more specific?
-Argg I knew my idea would be too good to be true!
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Yo man... dig it. Take two small pieces of tin foil and press them over the coin to make a relief copy of both the front and back. You can use the Reynolds Heavy Duty Wrap, it's a bit stronger than the usual stuff. Glue the two together and there you go! A lightweight hollow coin! Oh yeah, use the duller side of the foil.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
You can buy jumbo coin shells.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Yep - if you are using jumbo coins, use shells for 'em.

If you're using standard size coins, use those shells as well. Lighter in weight, and you can find replacements.

--- Guy
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Wow! You guys make me feel so dumb! (I mean that in the best way possible.) Fire dice 27, great idea man! I'm definetely going to try that. Are you sure the image wouldn't fade away though? I'll definetly give it a shot nonetheless.
And ya jumbo coin shells.....of course! But then again, could invisible thread support that?

....I'm very greatful for all of this. You guys rock.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Use heavy duty foil. It's thicker and will hold its shape better. Rub over the foil, which is now over the coin, with a q-tip. Make sure to get every little nook and cranny. Then detail the relief with a small blunt tool, like and awl.

Good luck!

GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
The tin foil approach can work, but will be amazingly fragile.

If you do use the coin shells, you can use a dremel type tool to hog out a little more material if you are just a little too heavy. Just be careful where you remove material.

If you want to show both sides, then use a head and tail shell, and have a talented toolworker (you, or a local machinist, etc.) grind the edges to make the coin shells "shorter," then join them together - just like the hollow foil coin above, but sturdier, and much lighter than the real thing.

Also, you can cut tiny slots or shallow "V" marks into the shell edge so thread will sit nicely in the position(s) you need.

--- Guy
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Magicgetsgirls try the Kennedy strong IT. It can lift a key and quite a heavy one at that.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Yes, the foil coin will be extrememly fragile. So there is a definate downside. That's why I would suggest making several. But for something sturdier, the shell ideas posted above are great.

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
There is a marketed half dollar version called the Coin Asrah. It takes a very long time to get it down right but when you do it is very eerie.

Dollar coin is too heavy for it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.