The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Can the master magicians PLEASE tell me just how many denier is the famed Woolly Nylon ? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
You know...the "Woolly Nylon" that is the Standard of Invisible Thread, many other products come and go, but Woolly Nylon is here to stay.
SO for the Woolly Nylon from YLI that every magician worth their salt in I.T work has used at one point or another.
I have but one question and one question only.

Just how many "Denier" is the standard stripped Woolly Nylon ?
Thanks.

The reason I ask this is because, believe it or not, Woolly Nylon is so NOT available where I am at and I am going to experiment with any and all thread that is around my area, if I can pinpoint the correct "Denier", then I only left one thing to experiment on, and that is the shiniest level, eventually I will be able to find a substitute [hopefully].
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Soy,

Why not try and order the original Woolly Nylon online.
Maybe someplace like
http://redrockthreads.com/yli-thread/yli-woolly-nylon.asp

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Once you get 1 spool, you will have more than a lifetime supply. That would probably be the best bet. Get the one that you know has been the workhorse of thread workers and be done rather than trying to fix something that is not broken (meaning experimenting with other threads that have probably been tried before) Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
Thank you kOnO for the link ! But I don't live in America Smile
But the link is super useful !

Poof-Daddy ! You are always here to help people out ! Thank you !
Is this the correct one ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112242885762?_tr......IDX%3AIT
It cost: US $5.46
But the shipping to my location is US $24.05.
So that single Spool BETTER last a lifetime.
Is this the correct version of Woolly Nylon ?
or this one ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YLI-Thread-Wooll......42885762

Which one ?
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
Update, I just bought 3 spool of:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112274286479?_tr......IDX%3AIT

Thank you kOnO, thank you Poof-Daddy.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
3 spools? Smile You have supplied several generations of future magicians in your family.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
Ha Ha Ha you are so funny Smile
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I don't think he is joking... You essentially bought 30,000 METERS of IT. xD
(That is over 600 Football fields long.)
1000M Per Roll. You get about (roughly) 10 IT pieces per piece of untouched Nylon. That would be 30k Meters worth of IT.

Don't worry, I was thinking the same thing to before purchasing my 'one' roll... will one roll really be a life-time?..... MmmHmmmm.
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
Wait...600 football fields ? What have I done ? YEAH !
One of the biggest issue I have with thread work is psychologically, it "hurts" everytime I have to break the thread in my performance.
I don't know why..it just...hurts.
For some reason I feel a desire to "save" it for future use.

600 Football field ? I hope you are not kidding.
Looks like I will NEVER save my thread anymore from now on, I will break them when the performance is over all the time now.
The amazing thing is, this is really how I wish I can perform, most thread work ends really cleanly if the performer broke the thread at the end, the issue is the psychologically barrier of breaking the thread because of all the hazzle later on [I.T.R I am looking at you].

Thank you, now I know I can deploy thread like Spiderman now.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Haha, you just made that Spiderman song play in my head -.- ...lol.

Well, next time you strip down a piece of W.N. see how many strands of IT come off of one piece. Then multiply that by 1000m (Amount in one roll of W.N). A football field is (48.5m x 109m) so depends which way you measure it. Even if you do run out of a spool, $5-7 for a spool that big, you can't even complain Smile.

It's not bad to break it and end clean. Especially if you have it attached to something you want to hand out to the spectator after. Just be careful, sometimes the string can break and go "air bourn" and be seen flying .
Don't remember who's story this was, but a performers string broke once, and hit a spectator in the face. (Luckily he was such an amazing spectator)... He approached the magician After the performance and said (something along the lines of) isn't it wonderful when magic hits you in the face.
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
Oh you did NOT just say the word Airborne, do not even say that.
I didn't hear nothing...
I didn't hear nothing...
I didn't hear nothing...
I didn't hear nothing...
I didn't hear nothing...
I didn't hear nothing...

That will not happen...