The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Table top. Want to put a layer of foam or something underneath. Help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Making a table. Got the material for the top but want to put a layer of foam or something underneath. Tried batting but it was to puffy and made the table slant down from the middle to the edges (there is a frame around the edges that compresses the batting causing the slant.) I need something to muffle the sound of a chop ball dislodging. Foam? Rubber? How thick would everybody suggest? Thanks for the help in advance.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Well, since I don't have any idea what geographic part of the world you live in, find a craft/hobby store that carries "Craft Foam" sheets. These sheets are approx. 1/8 inch thick and should do quite nicely for padding the top of your table.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
By a close up mat if your are doing close up. You do not have to build a table.

All padding will do what you are experiencing. You are pulling down the edge so the middle will rise. To pervent this from happening you will have to sew a side to the material and do not pull the edge down. Leave it the height of the foam.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Thanks for the help. Wmhegbli, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying put a close-up pad on top of the table? I don't understand "sew a side to the material." Thanks.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Frank:

The tables I build are padded with carpet padding, which is about 7/16" thick and is available in various densities. If there's a Lowes nearby, you can go to the carpet aisle and feel several samples to find a density that works for you.

I spray adhesive on the table top, then adhere the pad, trim, and cover with velour or felt. If the rounding effect you mentioned is undesirable (a table top for the Chop Cup or the Cups & Balls), I put a band around the table edge -- wood, aluminum, or fabric covered, depending on the design.

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have made tabletops from the automobile head liner material available at auto upholstery shops. There is a fairly wide range of colors, it has a great "grab" for spreading cards, and the padding is built in. Make sure you use adhesive made for head liners, though. Anything else may dissolve the foam.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I was going to mention auto head liner but you beat me to it Amos ..lol It really is great stuff. A local magic shop here even sell the stuff already cut to size for close up mats or table tops.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Frankm6,

No the closeup pad is a separate suggestion.

By the side I mean, like a cushion for a chair. It has a top, bottom, and 4 sides. The sides are sewn separately around the top. Form fitting the table top.

Hope you get the idea.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Cellini recommended using a plain terry cloth bath towel under the top fabric. That's how I made my top. One nice thing is that it will not deteriorate like some foam will.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Roger Boucher
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roger Boucher
I would use neoprime (spelling?) it is wet suit material it might be a little pricy though. I know that there is a felt that you can get that doesn't fray it wasn't very expensive that I have used as a close up mat I got it from an upholstry shop and it was for blankets so there are some things for you to try.

Roger
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I found some under-layment at a flooring store that works great. It is intended to be placed on a floor under cork tiles. It is supposed to survive 30 years of walking on it, so it should last a while for a table. It is 5/16" thick and has a nice firm feel to it. You will not be able to compress it with your top covering so it remains consistent from edge to edge. I've been very happy with it on my tables.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Quote:
On 2004-04-04 15:38, Bobcape wrote:
I found some under-layment at a flooring store that works great.
any more info on a name for this stuff?
Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of Miracle Man Show
Staples has a giant size mouse pad that might be large enough. It's available in several colors, and they work well for a closeup pad. Around $6.
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
There's only one Miracle Man, that's Jesus Christ; I just get to do a show about HIM.
www.themiraclemanshow.com