The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Making your own sponge shapes - Where to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Does anyone know the process of making special sponge shapes, similar to rabbits or the ladybugs sponges, for a sponge routine? I'm not interested in numbers or letters, which I may be able to cut out.

I want to make one color 3d type "supersoft-like" animals for a routine.

Anyone know where to look or how to manufacture? Thanks in advance.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Although I don't know very much on this subject, I'll share what I do know. The best thing (I know of) to use to cut foam rubber is an electric carving knife. My parents did upholstery as a hobby once, and they'd pick up old electric carving knives at yard sales to use, and they worked wonders.

It is not much, but maybe someone else will post something one more idea etc etc... and if everyone can contri one thing you are on your way.

But at least maybe this will give you a start.

Besides that I give you the advice of an old Sculptor I once heard.
Look at your model, then you look at the medium you are working in. And cut away what doesn't look like your model.

Steve
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I've done theatre work and used white foam a lot and a hot knife is a useful tool. It's fuse wire heated by a battery and you can buy them quite cheaply ($10.00 or so). They give lovely clean cuts, but I don't know how'd they go on other types of foam. Sculpture-wise, I'd advise you to measure each part with calipers (a divider from a compass set will do for the small stuff)so you don't have proportional problems.

The Goshman sponge glues acceptably with hot glue and you could put it all together with that if you have multiple parts. There are some theatre books on making masks with foam and these would probably be useful if you could check them out from the library.

Anyway, PM me if you want more advice.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I had someone recomend to me once that if you soak your sponge in water and freese it, you can use files and rasps and the such to "carve" or shape your sponge.. while its still solid... just an idea.
Magic Geek
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Need to buy some large sponges balls to get started.

Does anyone know if the sponge ladybugs and rabbits that are for sale are hand made, or molded/mechanically formed?
Roger Boucher
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roger Boucher
I think that the rabbits are just like a cookie cut out mold and the foam is poured into them, or it is just a coockie cutter idea and they just cut them out of foam because they are a different kind of foam then the original sponge balls. I think that they are just using a regular foam that you can buy. My mother does upholstery and she can get different hardness of foams and if I were you I would try a shop and find the softest and most compressable foam available to use. Depending on how nice they are they might have it and give it to you for free for the amount you need, unless they have to order it

Good Luck
Roger
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have also heard the freezing tip and using a rotary tool to carve the sponge.

When I was in college I used to make all my own rabbits and such. Just take a pair of scissors and start experimenting.

The one problem is most foam you get in sewing stores or for seat cushions is white and will discolor as it ages.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
The "3d sponge rabbits" I saw were mass produced from molds.

Dan Garrett markets some great sponge items that are handmade, including teeth, pickles, and bananas.

The tooth I have was actually snipped out and fine tuned with scissors.

Try to google for "Dan Garrett sponge pickle" (or "banana") - you should be able to find some photos of his sponges, and see what's possible by hand. They're pretty cool. I imagine a heated foam cutter was involved with the bananas, but can't be sure.

--- Guy