The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: What is this principle called??? HELP (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Hi guys I have seen this forced perspective illusion that consists of what appear to random lines but when viewed at a sharp angle looking across it as opposed to straight down on it .A word or phrase comes into view. I want to use this to reveal a word for a trick. I am sure there must be a program or app out there to customize your own hidden message. I attached the picture below .WARNING its a little vulgar for those that offend easily but its the only example I could find. If anyone has info or can suggest abetter thread to ask this on let me know. I did not see an "Optical Illusions" thread is there one???

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
This is an example of anamorphosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphosis

Mike
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Thanks Michael I am not sure if my picture qualifies in the exact same way that your example does. IE using cylindrical mirror to make distorted image appear normal. Maybe its defined the same way but in my example its much more organic as you are just changing the angle at which you view those lines. I am curious about how the pictures are created in the first place seems like there MUST be a computer program to achieve this.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

You can type text into an image editor (I use the free Paint.net). Add some thin horizontal and/or vertical lines for camouflage, then select the image and stretch it vertically. Here's a basic attempt I've just tried.

Mike

Click here to view attached image.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Thanks Michael that's what I was after. I downloaded paint.net and can do everything but I am having trouble stretching the image. Can you tell me what tool you used. Not familiar with this program at all so it may save me a ton of time!!!! Thanks in advance
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Hi Scott,

Open a new Paint.net file - e.g., width 400px, height 1000px.

Type your text across the middle of the image - font size 36px perhaps.

Choose Rectangle Select from the Tools to select around the text.

Then choose Move Selected Pixels.

Drag the bottom right handle down the image, then the top right handle up the image - this will stretch the text. Be careful not to get the rotate function on the handles.

You can stretch some of the way and then add camouflage lines before selecting and stretching further.

You might want to experiment with different image sizes and text sizes to get the quality you want. If you choose too large an image, your computer might struggle a bit.

Once you are happy with your image you can resize it to make it smaller if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Awesome very kind of you Michael