The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Need Ideas for Tops for Hindu Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
These "Hindu Cups" are of the found variety. They are one section of a brass decorative object. I took the part I imagined to be cups and threw the other parts away. I need to put the top/handle/?? on each cup. I bought 3 drawer knobs at Home Depot but the threads don't match and they are a bit small. Do I need to find a machinist or maybe a wood turner and have a mix of brass and wood? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Magic is where you find it.....
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
I would drill out the new knobs so that they slip over the threads and use a two part epoxy to attach the knob to the cup.
The knobs look like a cast metal (not brass) so you could have trouble if you tried to tap them for new threads.
Alternatively you could have a woodworker turn some nice knobs and epoxy them on, or if you drill the right size hole the metal cup
threads will thread into the wood nicely. The key to this working is to use the correct size drill bit.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2209 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If you drill them out I almost guarantee you will crack them because they are weakened by the thread. You can take it to any machines and have the threads chased to the size you need, just bring the cups and tops to them. It's a pretty found set Dale.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com