The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: I I am not enjoying practicing anymore. (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well! Welcome back! Happy to hear that my posts were helpful. Can you receive PMs?

I suspect that you were practicing, but not performing. THAT can be very boring. PM me, and, we can discuss the situation.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Doc Willie wrote:
Another plug for performing more. When I get tired of practicing, I take a bag full of tricks and some cards to a local coffee house. Practice there with the cards until someone comes up and asks what you are doing, or even pauses by your table. Then offer to show then a trick. Then start performing whatever comes to mind. Improvise according to what they bring and what the situation offers. E.g. I was carrying Ellusionist's card to chapstick trick at a meeting when I saw a lady pull out her chapstick. BAM! Moved in and showed her the trick, starting with "Did you know that chapstick eats cards?"

Also performing at a hospital, shelter or for some other charity will give you a great feeling.

GREAT advice!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is a difference between practicing and rehearsing the effects. If you are getting bored with practicing, then try rehearsing the effect from start to finish, while using your personality and how you wish to act, speak, and gesture with your hands, arms, and body. Imagine you are in front of spectators or an audience, visualize them in your mind. Speak the words you will say to them.

Practicing is usually only going over a move or flourish a number of times. Once you master the move, then include it in the entire rehearsal process of the total effect.

It is good you get bored practicing, it forces you to rehearse the total sequence of an effect/trick and have some fun with the total effect.

Then get out and perform for people any chance you get. Take notes of what you should work on more.

Hope this helps you to the next stage in your magic career.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
To follow up on my friend, Bill's excellent thoughts, I'll try to "boil them down" to the ESSENCE...

PRACTICE TO IMPROVE S K I L L.

REHEARSE TO IMPROVE P E R F O R M A N C E.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
8 words that say so much!!

That is a nugget of wisdom that should be printed out and hung in EVERY magic room of EVERY magician that WANTS to be better!!

Thank you Mr. Oslund
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yer welcome!

Gee! If I could have put that in a dvd, I "coulda" sold it, and, retired, a second time! hee hee
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
The key is in performing. You practice in part so as to not be a fool while performing. When I learn a new trick, I start roaming the stores to get in practice/performing opportunities. You'd be surprised at the number of times they thank you for showing them the trick, and they'll say you made their day. Most people go their entire life without seeing one decent closeup magic trick. Performing is the motivation for practicing, and performing also counts as practice.
deanr201
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of deanr201
As others have said (and in other threads)

Practice will help with the skills but getting out there and performing will go along way to helping you improve.

Plus positive feedback will give you a boost and and negative or criticism you can embrace, learn from and improve.

Also strangers don't know what to expect so you one step ahead of them at least. If it goes wrong they may not even know