The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Spandex Problems (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Currently using spandex to build a prop, however am having problems with it curling at the edges that are visible when stretched, and I need these edges to overlap to form a flat surface. It's also forming into a slight 'c' shape when being stretched along it's length.

Any tips be appreciated, or some alternative materials that could be used.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Spandex does that.
Try turning it 90 degrees and/ or sewing a second layer under it that's at 90 degrees.
Then, there is a way to stop the. "C" problem, it's in the way you stretch it... Or don't
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Try sewing the edges, French seam or enclose the edges with Bias Tape from a fabric store.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Hi thanks for the replies and tips. What I did in the end was fix some elastic strips on the edges, which are stretched and attahced to the frame. It stopped the 'c' shape and stopped it curling in on itself.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That’s good too
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
That's what I was about to recommend too. Elastic the edges and you're golden!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Does Spandex need to be stitched with an elastic thread and or that clear elastic bias tape?
Metal tubes are going to be pushed through it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.