The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Wizardy Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
So I have a show idea and the main PROP is a large magic book…. Like what you might see in a Wizard’s room. The pages of the book contain pictures that will guide the audience through a story line which is being told by the magician …. Now lets just say you flip to a page and it shows a cloudy sky with a rainbow…..the magician reaches at the page and produces a multi colored silk and now …. The rainbow is GONE from the page. I have seen this type of effect in TV magic specials …the magician pulls a beverage from an advertisement poster…. One minute the soda can is on the poster next minute the can is no longer on the poster and the magician holds a real can of soda …pops the top and drinks it.
Well this is along those same lines. But it happens through out the show. You might “pull” something off the page and it can be the PROP in the next trick or a face illustrated in the book can change from happy to sad… or now look surprised…. Or color changes can take place….. you may even be able to push an object into the book....
The change at first can be a bit subtle…. You might point out a particular facial expression on the illustration…. Go about doing some magic ….then direct attention back to the book and something has changed…. This now adds to misdirection and opportunities …. The book is large and the platform on which it sits is large…. Now maybe you can hide “loads” in that book or in that platform that while you draw audience attention to a change you might be able to steal objects.
I have not seen a product like this sold or an effect like this sold but I imagine a few different ways that it could be done but I am not sure if those ways I am thinking are practical.
So really I open this up for discussion in many ways… has anyone out there seen commercially available effects that I might be able to use as a model for this? Or commercially available products that can be used in conjunction with this idea(like a D’Lite or latex bottles) Youtube videos that might feature useful ideas. Does any of this seem probable? Please feel free to comment or suggest any thoughts… right now I am just kinda brainstorming this idea out.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
Would be cool using some sort of epaper and having the images in the book actually move.... the refresh rate on such devices however is pretty limited Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPaNMrFXsqM
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

That's cool.... way above anything I have worked on.... the last page of the book could hold a tablet playing a video.... thin tracing paper could be overlayed on the tablet to dull the image brightness and screen shine????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHFAsXY......y0ISTJFm
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUycKft9beQ

this idea could be used in different ways
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki and Spellbinder collaborated on a "Halloween Punch Recipe Book" based on Qua-Fiki's Magic Book Principle (different from the coloring book principle). The magic recipe book is blank at the start, but then one page appears, and another, and another. Each page has a different "recipe" for performing Halloween Magic, but the idea could apply to many magic effects without being seasonal. It's in The Wizards' Journal #23.

In The Wizards' Journal #9, Spellbinder describes his "Bizarre Book" which has some interesting and bizarre special effects (such as having a hand reach out of the book and try to drag a spectator into the book by his necktie).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are books that produce items, like doves, that could be converted. There are latex bottles fruit, vegetables, and such. There are fire books, and smoke devices.

Good luck on whatever you are trying to create.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I think the latex fruits might work.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
When reading your post, the first thing that came to mind was the bowling ball production from a sketch pad. Sounds intriguing!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Martin Lewis' Cardiographic may provide a principle for changing the illustrations, as well.

Combining principles would allow for a good way to keep ahead of the guesses about how it works.

Patrick