The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: Dennis Dowhy- November 2001 New Member :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Hi Gang,

I’ve been asked by Steve, this BBS administrator, to add my name and a bit of info about me here in this section.

Quite obviously, my name is Dennis Dowhy, (54), and still very much interested in magic. I started out at 10 years of age and my specialty is Kids Shows.

I’ve been studying magic for many years, with my favorite type being comedy magic. I like Copperfield’s Style, McBride’s Training Videos, and have entensive knowledge in numerous fields. (One of which is NOT spelling.)

I spent 28 years fighting fires in an urban city in NJ, (now retired) I’ve got three college degrees, one in fire admininistration with a minor in theater, and two BS degrees in Computer and Informational Sciences, and have done tons of magic shows over the years.

I’ve managed numerous BBS over the years, extensively involved in Scouts (Assistant Cub Master) and still fall back to the entertainment and enjoyment of magic. I run two corporations, one computer related and another fire fighting training seminars.

During these recent months, I’ve put together a woodshop and plan to build some illusions.

You’re probably saying "My God, how is he doing all that?" Well, Seminar training is only a few months a year, I don’t sell computers anymore but I do web site designs occasionally, I retired from the fire service, and have an 8 year old son, hence scouting.

I do magic shows whenever, family picnics, school assemblies, scouting, things like that. While I was in college and working full time, magic had to take a back seat to the basic needs of life, food, shelter, education, raising kids... that sort of stuff.

Now that I have the time available, the skill and knowlege of the ages, I plan to do school assemblies full time. Maybe a cruise or two, and a comedy club act.

Well enough about me you get the picture. My website (Now in construction) is: Magic-Magic.com

One final message, I’ve been to numerous Magic BBS on the Net but this one seems to be run with a touch of professionalism in the field. Great job guys! (non-gender specific)

Smile (Like this signature a lot because I use rabbits in most of my shows.)
Dennis Michael
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Wow Dennis,

sounds like you're a pretty busy fellow!

We really appreciate all those nice comments,

thanks for joining our magic community!

Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Welcome. Feel free to use the smilies Smile Smile Smile
Bernard Sim
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Welcome to The Cafe!!!!!!!!!

I know you'll feel right at home here.

Bengi Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Great to have you join us here at the Cafe! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile

Welcome to the "Magic Cafe" Dendowhy! Smile

We're so glad you decided to join us,

and that you like our little spot. Smile

We love it! Smile

And, love having you here. Smile

We hope you come back often,

And invite your friends! Smile

We're always open,

And, we aim to please. Smile

Mya Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Welcome Dennis!

It’s great to have you!

Twenty eight years fighting fires, plus a wood shop!

You’re a busy guy!

What type of illusions are you working on?

Are you planning on working on anything to emulate Copperfield’s style (you wrote he’s one of your favorites!)

Sincerely,

Steve Landavazo

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Welcome aboard, Dennis.

I know what you mean about the professionalism found here versus other boards.

I've dropped off most of them because of the wannabes and neverwillbes who "speak from on high" as if they were a combination of Copperfield, Blackstone, and Houdini.

I've been in magic for more than 50 years and if I could spend another 50 in it, I might start to learn about it.

Welcome again.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Welcome to the CAFE !!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Steve,

To answer your questions. I like Copperfield but many of his illusions are very expensive. Even if I had his money, looks, girls and illusions, I would not come off as Copperfield, I like his style, his way with the illusions in his story telling and justifications for his stage presence. I am no Copperfield, I have my own personality which would fit a comedy magician more than the youthful style of Copperfield.

My projects now are making four suitcase tables each of a different bright color, a flash appearance similar to ’Osbone’s’ Plans. I have a couple of hundred other plans, but right now I am not billing myself as an illusionist.

If anything, I’d make a good comedy magician, screwing up the floating lady or messing up the sawing a person in half illusion. I am considering to be the home built screw-up magician. This is all in the planning stages at this point. Just thinking about it.

I am rebuilding my Kids Show which is about 3 hours long. The most difficult challenge is to determine what to keep and what to eliminate so the show is down to 40 minutes. (I do have a 45-60 minute show but I have some new illusions I want to try out)

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com

[email]DennisDowhy@magic-magic.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Ever do anything with B.I.F.C. in Idaho?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

No! I'm from NJ

What is B.I.F.C.?

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com