The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: The Web question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
~Raven~
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of ~Raven~
I bought the web for 26 bucks but never really use it. Whenever I try to place it on the spectators hand, they usually feel it there, and when they do wave their hand, there isn't any major reaction! Can someone give me advice or tips?
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.

For those who do not, none will suffice."

Joe Dunninger
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The simle act of buying a trick doesn't garauntee that you will now be performing mind-blowing magic. Perhaps it's just a matter of re-evaluating how you're handling the effect. I mean, ask yourself, "What am I doing to make this magical?" Look at your patter. Are you builing up the effect or just rushing through the canned lines that came with the instructions? As far as the specs feeling the spider, try not to press too hard when loading it. A little goes a long way. Also, the Web is a strange trick and it's one of those that needs to be performed in the right place and time, on the right people. Pretend you're an actor and think, "What's my motivation?"
Good luck.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Raven, one of the oldest, most wise sayings that magicians often repeat is: Gimmicks don't make magician, imagination does.

What Firedice said is very sound advice. Revise your presentation and CREATE an astounding piece of magic with your gimmick. The gimmick won't create the magic. I have done this effect many times and never failed to get a strong reaction because of my presentation of the effect. My friend performs it and people feel the gimmick or they catch what's going on. The strength of effects like this one, and in truth ALL effects, lies in the psychological state of mind that YOU PUT THE SPECTATOR IN.
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I always seem to think of THE WEB as more of a practical joke than a maic trick. sure there is an element of magic in it, but I tend to use it only for the "awkward spectator."
Cad
View Profile
New user
London, England
29 Posts

Profile of Cad
Great advice so far. My tuppence worth:

If moving the specs hands is a natural and quick movement (no fumbling round or squeezing the load too hard) they won't feel it. They'll only feel it if they see something that makes them think something dodgy may be going on. The adhesive with the marketed effect is pretty tacky stuff- it shouldn't require much pressure. Another thing you might try is bending the legs up a bit more so the adhesive is the only thing that contacts during the load.

Finally, for the reaction, I like to 'drop' a card (which one depends on what state you've just shown the cards in) when looking for the spider- most of the time, the spec will reach down to pick it up for you, and catch sight of the spider. Since the trick is effectively on pause, they really won't be expecting anything to happen at this point, and therefore their reaction to it will be stronger.