The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: "A Beginner's Guide To Constructing The Universe" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
oliverho
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of oliverho
I just read this book by Michael S. Schneider and thought it might also have interest to people here. My apologies if I missed any existing discussions about it, or if this isn't the right section for it.

"A Beginner's Guide To Constructing The Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes Of Nature, Art and Science"
http://www.constructingtheuniverse.com

It's about how numbers "represent qualities which we all innately understand -- wholeness, polarity, structure, balance, growth," and seemed to lend itself to interesting presentational ideas, especially for readings and mentalism routines (e.g., any number-based reading systems, tarot effects, shapes on ESP cards and regular playing cards).

The author goes through the numbers 1-10, and explores each one's meaning through world myths and art, and focuses in particular on the geometric shapes (and their meanings) associated with each number. He also discusses how to construct each shape based on the standard tools of a compass, ruler and pencil, and how the shapes relate to each other in various meaningful ways.

I have an enduring affection for math and geometry (albeit superficial--my attempt at studying the subjects in academia was a dismal failure), and I've been enjoying trying to merge that with my interest in learning about readings and mentalism.

I came to this book after reading Angeles Arrien's book, "Signs of Life." I posted a note about it here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
264 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Oliverho,

Thanks for the post about the Constructing the Michael Schneider book. I'll have to add it to my reading list.

All the best,
--Brett