The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Packet tricks out of the blue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I carry packet tricks where ever I am just in case I am asked to perform - does anyone else do this ???
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I wouldn't say I carry them everywhere, but very often I have something in a pocket or in my wallet. Usually, it's when I have just gotten something new and I just fall in love with it. I'm afraid to leave it home all by itself!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
I just carry a pack of cards so any ungaffed packet tricks can be stripped straight from the deck.

Actually I also carry a set of marked ESP cards for Mated, since they are in my wallet its with me always.
Scott Chesney
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Scott Chesney
I always carry color monte

Scott
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
No, I don't carry any packet trick. But as long as I have bills and coins in pocket that's good enough for me.
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
I too always have Temple's Color Monte on me.

I'll carry a few other objects (Thumb tip, shoelace for ring on string and 2 cards for card warp, perhaps crazy eights, maybe some sponge balls, but that's it).

I like Color Monte because it is very visual, engaging and has a nice story line with it. It's good for several minutes of impromptu wonder.

The problem with most packet tricks is that they don't really fit into a standard wallet, so you have to carry the cheapie one that comes with them. The second you pull this thing out, it says to the audience that you're using some kind of gimmicked cards. I want my tricks to look like I'm using normal everyday objects as a rule - and this violates the rule.

Having said that, though, Color Monte can get away with it because these are not normal playing cards. It's obvious from the patter that they have their own meaning which validates them being unique cards, hence the special packet case.

A better solution is to use business cards or something else I have a good, normal reason to have on me, and do the same effect with these instead of specialty cards.

My $.01.

-Dave
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I was talking to someone last night and when they asked me what I do for a living I mentioned I am a magician. I know that is begging for trouble, usually say I am an entertainer, was just tired or something.

Well of course they asked me to perform "a couple of tricks." I didn't have a thing on me like I usually carry so my wife asked them for a coin which she handed me.

Sometimes she tries to set me up I think. So I did a series of coin tricks and ended up doing some flourishes and changed the quarter to a penney in "mid air." Booked a birthday party plus probably a company event with the company that she owns.

Not bad for being totally unprepared.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
If I fall in love with a trick it is all ways with me
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't do this. I've grown to hate packet tricks.
Mostly because of gaffitus.
I will do a packet trick only if it requires no gaffed cards.

I'll do the twins or twisting the aces, or doc daley's last trick, or be honest what is it, 2 card monte.

I'd just rather work with a bunch of cards.

But.. boy, I used to dream of making packet trick wallets, etc. Having them all sorted and ready to go...

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Packet tricks are just fun and usually not very hard to do, not to mention they just plain work. It is us that change not the effect that a good packet trick, and presentation, have on the unsuspecting spectators!
Sometimes I carry one or more and sometimes I don't. Lately I have'nt been but I have my favorite little wallet set up with some of my current favorites whenever I feel the urge to snatch it up before leaving the house. It currently contains Pat Paiges 3 card trick made up by yours truly with bikes, b'wave, esp cards and a 3 card monte trick. I have 2 sets on each side of the walltet and each set of cards are separated by my business card. It works for me.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
I typically have a deck of cards with me when I leave the house.

I have to second Mr. Starsini. I enjoy packet tricks, but only if they can be pulled from a deck of cards.

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
I always carry a deck of bicycle red-backed cards. They are ungaffed, and if you are doing it for friends they might ask you to use the deck to play a card game. With ungaffed cards you can always do this, plus you can play solitaire if you are bored. I don't cary packet tricks unless I know I will be using them (it's not worth it if they get lost).
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
I have Kollosal Killer in my wallet all the time. Works wonders.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I usually carry a small packet of six or seven cards in a wallet, mostly for performing Card Warp. And I often keep the regular deck set up for The Lazy Man's Card Trick which is a great opener I think.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
bcharles
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
59 Posts

Profile of bcharles
I'll carry Color Monte, but prefer to pull the aces out of a regular deck and do Vernon's "Twisting the Aces" followed by Dr. Dailey's "Last Trick".

Brian
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Heirloom, the best.

Sorry, I forgot Bammo Monster Monte, worth every penny!
magic_tom1
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
87 Posts

Profile of magic_tom1
I believe it is just unnatural to pull out a packet trick like three card monte, with just the three cards. It is much more realistic, and reinforcingly "ungaffed" if the cards come from the deck. I usually only carry a deck around.

That said, there are several packet tricks I do, but I must strip the cards out of the deck. I do Doc Dailey's Last Trick, occasionally the ungaffed version of 3 card monte, 2 card monte, and Brother John Hamman's classic Gemini Twins, among others.
Magic Tom
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simply Amazing!